Delta rolls out extended Medallion status well ahead of schedule
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Because the coronavirus pandemic has halted most travel, all major U.S. airlines have extended elite status into 2021.
Delta was the trailblazer though, since the carrier was the first to announce sweeping status extensions and more. At the time, the Atlanta-based carrier promised that extended Medallion Status would be reflected in members’ account on Feb. 1, 2021.
Turns out, the airline is well ahead of schedule on this IT project, since the Medallion Status extensions have now been processed. This means that all current Delta elites, including invite-only Delta 360 members, should see their status valid through Jan. 31, 2022.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter
That’s not all. According to Delta’s updated website dedicated to SkyMiles benefits, all Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates and $200 Travel Vouchers that were due to expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020 have been extended as well — now, you can use these for travel by Dec. 31, 2020. Likewise drink vouchers, Delta Sky Club memberships and guest passes and SkyMiles Select memberships have been extended for six months.
Each year, Delta Platinum and Diamond Medallions get to choose from a range of Choice Benefits that include extra perks like upgrades and the ability to gift status. Of the major U.S. carriers, Delta’s being the most generous since it’s giving all Platinums and Diamonds a fresh set of Choice Benefits for the 2021 program year, regardless of whether you requalified in 2020.
However, you won’t be able to select those Choice Benefits just yet. According to the airline, the 2021 Choice Benefits will become available on Feb. 1, 2021. Note that if you do end up requalifying for status in 2020, you’ll receive your Choice Benefit selection at the time you cross the thresholds.
All in all, it’s great to see Delta using this downtime to speed up the implementation of its SkyMiles changes. Be sure to monitor your accounts over the next few days to make sure that everything looks the way it should.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees