Delta rolls out extended Medallion status well ahead of schedule
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Because the coronavirus pandemic has halted most travel, all major U.S. airlines have extended elite status into 2021.
Delta was the trailblazer though, since the carrier was the first to announce sweeping status extensions and more. At the time, the Atlanta-based carrier promised that extended Medallion Status would be reflected in members’ account on Feb. 1, 2021.
Turns out, the airline is well ahead of schedule on this IT project, since the Medallion Status extensions have now been processed. This means that all current Delta elites, including invite-only Delta 360 members, should see their status valid through Jan. 31, 2022.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter
That’s not all. According to Delta’s updated website dedicated to SkyMiles benefits, all Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates and $200 Travel Vouchers that were due to expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020 have been extended as well — now, you can use these for travel by Dec. 31, 2020. Likewise drink vouchers, Delta Sky Club memberships and guest passes and SkyMiles Select memberships have been extended for six months.
Each year, Delta Platinum and Diamond Medallions get to choose from a range of Choice Benefits that include extra perks like upgrades and the ability to gift status. Of the major U.S. carriers, Delta’s being the most generous since it’s giving all Platinums and Diamonds a fresh set of Choice Benefits for the 2021 program year, regardless of whether you requalified in 2020.
However, you won’t be able to select those Choice Benefits just yet. According to the airline, the 2021 Choice Benefits will become available on Feb. 1, 2021. Note that if you do end up requalifying for status in 2020, you’ll receive your Choice Benefit selection at the time you cross the thresholds.
All in all, it’s great to see Delta using this downtime to speed up the implementation of its SkyMiles changes. Be sure to monitor your accounts over the next few days to make sure that everything looks the way it should.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.