This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The numbers are clearly telling Delta that there’s demand to be tapped in Mexico. The carrier, alongside SkyTeam partner Aeromexico, is launching a new route between Minneapolis–St. Paul (MSP) and Mexico City (MEX).
In fact, that’s the third new international flight from MSP announced by Delta in 2018. Earlier in 2018, Delta announced new service to Seoul-Incheon (ICN) in conjunction with partner Korean Air to begin in April 2019, while A350-900 service to Shanghai (PVG) is slated to begin in 2020.
Service on the MSP-MEX route will be aboard Delta’s Airbus A319 aircraft with seating for 12 in First Class, 18 in Delta Comfort+ and 102 in the main cabin. It’s slotted in at 1,785 miles, a journey that’ll take around four hours to complete.
The new service will operate on the following schedule beginning June 8, 2019, with tickets on sale now:
- Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport (MSP) at 8:50am Departure ⇒ Mexico City International Airport (MEX) at 1:01pm Arrival
- Mexico City International Airport (MEX) at 2:00pm Departure ⇒ Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport (MSP) at at 6:14pm Arrival
Tickets for the route are on sale now, with inaugural one-way pricing ranging from $395 (basic economy) to $559 (first class).
SkyMiles award pricing is showing up at 22,000 miles for main cabin, 28,000 miles for Comfort+ and 37,500 miles for first class (all one-way).
On Aeromexico metal, there’s a new nonstop between Guadalajara (GDL) and Detroit (DTW), which Delta flyers can earn miles on. The new 1,894-mile, 5-hour route will operate thrice weekly on a 99-seat Embraer 190 aircraft beginning May 1, 2019, with tickets on sale now.
- AM2734 — Guadalajara International Airport (GDL) at 8:57am Departure ⇒ Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) at 2:20pm Arrival (Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
- AM2735 — Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) at 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Guadalajara International Airport (GDL) at 7:52pm Arrival (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday)
Cash pricing on the inaugural run shows a range of $305 (basic economy) to $1,567 (Premier), while the route isn’t yet showing on Delta.com’s award pricing calendar.
If you’ve taken a look at your elite status progress and are in need of an MQM boost, consider adding the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express or Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card, each of which provides an additional 5,000 to 10,000 MQMs after reaching a certain level of spend.
For avid Delta flyers, be sure to pore over our guide to choosing the best credit card for Delta loyalists.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees