The first American woman to captain a cruise ship schools internet troll in viral video
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first mistake the internet troll made was questioning a woman’s ability to be a cruise ship captain.
The second mistake he or she made (we suspect it’s a he) was directing the comments at Kate McCue, the social media-savvy captain of Celebrity Cruises’ one-year-old Celebrity Edge.
“How can you be a captain? Your [sic] only a woman,” the unnamed commenter wrote on one of McCue’s social media pages.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
Captain Kate, as she is known by her many fans, responded this week with what is likely the most viral 45-second video in the history of cruising. Now bouncing around TikTok, Instagram and Twitter, it already has been watched, shared and commented on many millions of times.
“Normally, when I’m scrolling through comments and I see something like this, I totally ignore it and move on with my life,” McCue, speaking from Celebrity Edge’s bridge, says at the start of the video. “But I think it’s about high time that I address this, because it’s 2020, and in this day and age, I’m shocked …”
McCue then pauses for dramatic effect, before going in an unexpected direction.
“… that someone still doesn’t know the difference between you’re and your.”
Slam. Internet troll, you are officially McCued!
McCue then serves up the coup de grace with a few more artfully designed phrases.
“So just a quick reference: You’re — as in ‘you are’ — like, ‘you are sexist.’ Your is something possessive, it belongs to you, like ‘your ignorance.’ But don’t worry. I’m here for you. If you need any more clarification, you can find me here. In my captain’s chair.”
As she says those last words, she eases back into the captain’s chair on Celebrity Edge as sparkles pop up on the screen around her.
McCue, who is something a rock star among cruise captains, is known as one of the wittiest celebrities in the cruising world. Among cruise world personalities, she has one of the biggest followings on social media, including nearly 200,000 followers on Instagram and more than 300,000 followers on TikTok.
She’s also a trailblazer. In 2015, when she took command of Celebrity Summit, she became the first American woman to captain a major cruise vessel.
In the years since, she’s moved her way up to the top post on Celebrity Edge, one of the most advanced cruise vessels at sea. As the captain of the ship, she oversees a staff of nearly 1,400 people.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image of Kate McCue aboard Celebrity Edge courtesy of Celebrity Cruises
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees