San Diego Airport rolls out on-site COVID-19 testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Carbon Health, a major player in COVID-19 testing, will now extend its footprint to the San Diego International Airport (SAN). It’s offering “travel clearance visits” that include a COVID-19 test that is sufficient for domestic travel. San Diego joins other West Coast airports such as Portland, San Jose and Los Angeles that all offer similar testing.
Airports in other destinations like Tampa are providing similar on-site testing, while Oakland International Airport is selling COVID-19 tests in vending machines.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
According to Carbon Health, it’s giving the nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) at San Diego Airport. It’s an anterior nasal swab, which is more comfortable than the nasopharyngeal swab.
The company says the test is “currently configured to meet the state requirements of Alaska and Hawaii. We cannot guarantee our tests and result formats meeting international travel requirements.”
Passengers should get tested 72 hours before their flight. Book an appointment online and then bring your flight itinerary, which the technician will review. Once you are tested, the results will be available by 2 p.m. the next day. You’ll get a text as soon as the results are ready. You’ll then access the results via the company’s website or app, where you can download a printable PDF to bring with you on your travels.
Carbon Health can test anyone over 3 months old and it does so in the Valet lot at 2357 Air Lane Road from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
You’ll pay $170 per person out-of-pocket for the test and Carbon Health doesn’t accept insurance. But, the good news is that you can pay via your HSA or FSA card.
As time goes on, we hope to see more airport locations offering COVID-19 testing.
Featured image by ronstik/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees