San Diego Airport rolls out on-site COVID-19 testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Carbon Health, a major player in COVID-19 testing, will now extend its footprint to the San Diego International Airport (SAN). It’s offering “travel clearance visits” that include a COVID-19 test that is sufficient for domestic travel. San Diego joins other West Coast airports such as Portland, San Jose and Los Angeles that all offer similar testing.
Airports in other destinations like Tampa are providing similar on-site testing, while Oakland International Airport is selling COVID-19 tests in vending machines.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
According to Carbon Health, it’s giving the nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) at San Diego Airport. It’s an anterior nasal swab, which is more comfortable than the nasopharyngeal swab.
The company says the test is “currently configured to meet the state requirements of Alaska and Hawaii. We cannot guarantee our tests and result formats meeting international travel requirements.”
Passengers should get tested 72 hours before their flight. Book an appointment online and then bring your flight itinerary, which the technician will review. Once you are tested, the results will be available by 2 p.m. the next day. You’ll get a text as soon as the results are ready. You’ll then access the results via the company’s website or app, where you can download a printable PDF to bring with you on your travels.
Carbon Health can test anyone over 3 months old and it does so in the Valet lot at 2357 Air Lane Road from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
You’ll pay $170 per person out-of-pocket for the test and Carbon Health doesn’t accept insurance. But, the good news is that you can pay via your HSA or FSA card.
As time goes on, we hope to see more airport locations offering COVID-19 testing.
Featured image by ronstik/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.