New York City’s Only Glamping Retreat Just Got Even Better
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When I think of places to stay in New York City, the last place that crosses my mind is… outdoors. But if you’ve ever dreamed of staying at an urban NYC retreat where you can spend the night outdoors, I’ve found the perfect place for you.
Collective Governors Island is an urban glamping retreat located on — you guessed it — Governors Island, which is just a stone’s throw from downtown Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty and Red Hook in Brooklyn. Now in its second year of service, the property has taken urban glamping to the next level.
We first covered the opening of Collective Governors Island back in 2018, and yesterday we had the chance to get a tour of some of the property’s newest offerings.
At the moment, the retreat features two types of tents: 10 Summit Tents with king beds and private ensuite bathrooms, and 27 smaller, more affordable queen-bedded Journey Tents without private bathrooms. You definitely wouldn’t be “roughing it” in a Journey Tent, though, since there are multiple shared, private bathrooms, each outfitted with toilets, showers and sinks.
The property is getting ready to launch its third type of accommodation, called Outlook Shelters, which are repurposed shipping containers that will offer glass encased bedrooms (with sweeping views of the harbor), ensuite bathrooms and kitchens.
The property’s restaurant and bar, Three Peaks Lodge, is located in the main gathering tent. The restaurant serves daily continental breakfast, light bites for lunch and a $150 tasting menu for dinner. If you’d prefer a lighter dinner, the restaurant serves a la carte shareables like asparagus and bean dip, carrot and avocado tartare and a burrata plate.
To satisfy your sweet tooth, the bar sells DIY s’mores packages, which can be prepared next to one of the two fire pits.
There isn’t too much to “do” on the island, but that’s the point. You can enjoy your summer read with a glass of rosé in a comfortable lounge chair on the property’s expansive lawn area. The property doesn’t have a gym, but you can rent bicycles or walk/run around the island. There’s a public park and an oyster bar that’s open from 12pm until 6pm Monday through Thursday and until 10pm on Friday and Saturday. However, the island closes to the public on weeknights and the last ferry leaves at 7pm.
The property’s newest excursion for the 2019 season is a VIP Boat Tour Experience. The 1 hour boat tour, ranging from $135 to $150 per person, takes you around the entire island of Manhattan in a 30 foot Sea Fox boat.
Above all else, the property’s greatest feature is its serenity and zen-like vibes all while being a short ferry ride away from Manhattan. Even though you can see Manhattan from the entire retreat, you truly don’t feel the hustle and bustle of the city.
So, pack your overnight bag, leave the towels, linens and bug spray at home and hop on over to this NYC glamping retreat. Your mind will thank you.
All photos by Zach Griff, unless otherwise noted.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.