New York City’s Only Glamping Retreat Just Got Even Better
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When I think of places to stay in New York City, the last place that crosses my mind is… outdoors. But if you’ve ever dreamed of staying at an urban NYC retreat where you can spend the night outdoors, I’ve found the perfect place for you.
Collective Governors Island is an urban glamping retreat located on — you guessed it — Governors Island, which is just a stone’s throw from downtown Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty and Red Hook in Brooklyn. Now in its second year of service, the property has taken urban glamping to the next level.
We first covered the opening of Collective Governors Island back in 2018, and yesterday we had the chance to get a tour of some of the property’s newest offerings.
At the moment, the retreat features two types of tents: 10 Summit Tents with king beds and private ensuite bathrooms, and 27 smaller, more affordable queen-bedded Journey Tents without private bathrooms. You definitely wouldn’t be “roughing it” in a Journey Tent, though, since there are multiple shared, private bathrooms, each outfitted with toilets, showers and sinks.
The property is getting ready to launch its third type of accommodation, called Outlook Shelters, which are repurposed shipping containers that will offer glass encased bedrooms (with sweeping views of the harbor), ensuite bathrooms and kitchens.
The property’s restaurant and bar, Three Peaks Lodge, is located in the main gathering tent. The restaurant serves daily continental breakfast, light bites for lunch and a $150 tasting menu for dinner. If you’d prefer a lighter dinner, the restaurant serves a la carte shareables like asparagus and bean dip, carrot and avocado tartare and a burrata plate.
To satisfy your sweet tooth, the bar sells DIY s’mores packages, which can be prepared next to one of the two fire pits.
There isn’t too much to “do” on the island, but that’s the point. You can enjoy your summer read with a glass of rosé in a comfortable lounge chair on the property’s expansive lawn area. The property doesn’t have a gym, but you can rent bicycles or walk/run around the island. There’s a public park and an oyster bar that’s open from 12pm until 6pm Monday through Thursday and until 10pm on Friday and Saturday. However, the island closes to the public on weeknights and the last ferry leaves at 7pm.
The property’s newest excursion for the 2019 season is a VIP Boat Tour Experience. The 1 hour boat tour, ranging from $135 to $150 per person, takes you around the entire island of Manhattan in a 30 foot Sea Fox boat.
Above all else, the property’s greatest feature is its serenity and zen-like vibes all while being a short ferry ride away from Manhattan. Even though you can see Manhattan from the entire retreat, you truly don’t feel the hustle and bustle of the city.
So, pack your overnight bag, leave the towels, linens and bug spray at home and hop on over to this NYC glamping retreat. Your mind will thank you.
All photos by Zach Griff, unless otherwise noted.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees