Glamping Retreat to Open on NYC’s Governors Island This June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City has plenty of options when it comes to accommodations; at last count, there are more than 700 hotels listed on TripAdvisor in Manhattan alone — but most are pretty lackluster or prohibitively expensive. That made this latest NYC property’s advertised $75 nightly rate especially attractive. Of course, there’s a catch.
First, that $75 rate at Collective Governors Island is only available for New Yorkers, only on select weeknights and in limited quantity. Oh yeah, and you won’t be staying in a hotel — you’re paying $75 for a luxury tent, which actually doesn’t look half-bad. But that tent is located on Governors Island — which, while technically in the borough of Manhattan, is actually located in the middle of New York Harbor. Getting to and from your accommodations requires taking a short ferry, available between the hours of 10:00am and 5:30pm Monday-Friday, and until 6pm on the weekend.
In other words, plan to spend some quality time in your tent, which might look something like this:
I’m actually a big fan of Governors Island. I’ve been visiting on weekends for years and the prospect of spending the night there for an incredibly easy city getaway does sound appealing in theory.
“Since the inception of Collective Retreats, it has been our dream to have a presence in New York City,” said Peter Mack, founder and CEO of Collective Retreats, in a press release. “We are thrilled to serve as the first hospitality brand to create an opportunity for New Yorkers and visitors to stay overnight and experience the beauty of Governors Island more deeply.”
My favorite hangout is Hammock Grove, which is home to 50 hammocks. There’s even one hidden away under a tree around the corner — it’s all mine, so I won’t tell you where it is, but it does exist … and it’s awesome. It’s my happy place. Wheeee!
Collective Governors Island, the fifth opening for experiential travel company, Collective Retreats, opens on June 1 and bookings are available through October 31. As of this writing almost all dates are available, with the exception of the latter half of June.
Rates appear to start at $150 for select dates in September and October, $175 in June and $200 during the peak summer months. Weekend and holiday bookings require a stay of at least two nights, and while I do love Governors Island, it might be difficult to justify spending an entire weekend there.
(Very expensive) Luxury Tents include en-suite bathrooms, though Bell Tents have shared facilities, which include flush toilets, hot showers and environmentally friendly amenities. There’s also on-site dining at the Three Peaks Lodge, which offers picnic lunches and “BBQ-in-a-box” dinners, along with “table-side farm-to-table dinner, served under the stars with views of the Statue of Liberty and New York Harbor.”
Eventually, you may be able to book the property via a third-party booking portal, such as Chase Ultimate Rewards, which, if you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, would allow you to redeem points at 1.5 cents apiece. Collective isn’t showing up on the site yet, though, nor was it available via a phone agent, so I’d recommend checking back in a few weeks.
Ultimately, due to the remote location, I wouldn’t recommend Collective Governors Island for first-time New York City visitors. It could make for a great weekend escape for locals, however, and return tourists looking for an affordable, off-the-beaten-path stay.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees