Chipotle Rewards Loyalty Program Launches in Select Markets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s official: Loyalty programs have moved well beyond airlines and hotels, and in turn, the food industry will never be the same. Starbucks, Pizza Hut and even Chick-fil-A are luring patrons back into stores with the promise of free grub after spending a certain amount, and starting this month, yet another mainstay is getting in on the action. Chipotle Mexican Grill is piloting its points-based loyalty system (dubbed Chipotle Rewards) in three test markets: Phoenix, Kansas City (both in Kansas and Missouri) and Columbus, Ohio.
In a statement that requires three or four readthroughs to properly digest, the chain’s Chief Digital and Information Officer Curt Garner had this to say: “Now, with Chipotle Rewards, the more you Chipotle, the more you earn points towards free Chipotle.” That’s a lot of Chipotle.
Eligible customers in each of the three test markets can sign-up for Chipotle Rewards via the Chipotle app or on Chipotle.com. Those who enroll can earn 10 points for every $1 spent, with 1,250 points resulting in a free entrée. In what could be the boldest move of the year by a restaurant plagued with food safety and credit card security issues, Chipotle also throws shade at competing loyalty programs in the official release: “Offering a free entrée of choice allows customers to choose their favorite menu item without restrictions like other loyalty programs.” Shots fired.
For a limited time, customers can earn 15 points for every $1 spent in the app and online, and customers in pilot markets can also earn free chips and guac after their first purchase using Chipotle Rewards. If you aren’t in one of the company’s test markets, you have two options: uproot and move, or wait for the full-stage program rollout to occur sometime in 2019.
Featured image courtesy of Chipotle Mexican Grill
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.