China Eastern, Hainan Airlines suspend U.S. flights over coronavirus concerns
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chinese carriers China Eastern Airlines and Hainan Airlines have suspended some flights to North America as airlines across the globe scale back service to mainland China amid the coronavirus health scare.
A collection of international airlines — including all three major U.S. carriers — has already announced temporary cancellations of routes to China, but China Eastern was the first carrier based in the country to announce the suspension of its flights to the U.S. and Canada. It was joined by Hainan Airlines, which said in a statement that it would temporarily end flights between China and North American beginning Feb. 2.
Aviation industry watchers said it’s likely that other airlines, especially those based in China, will follow suit, though Air China and China Southern Airlines have not yet made any such announcements publicly.
“Until the outbreak is confirmed by WHO to have been contained, I expect less and less appetite for capacity risk, fewer and fewer seats to be offered,” aviation analyst Robert W. Mann said in an email to TPG.
“It would surprise me if any airline was willing to absorb the losses that come with current marketplace concerns about traveling to and from China,” he added, “even carriers that have been flooding the market with capacity, and even though they undoubtedly benefit from few other carriers flying.”
Beginning on Sunday, China Eastern’s flights from Shanghai to Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK) were canceled through Feb. 10.
The service to San Francisco (SFO) will be canceled on Feb. 6 and 9, and to Chicago (ORD) on Feb. 8. The flight to Honolulu is suspended beginning Monday (Feb. 3) until March 27.
China Eastern will also suspend flights from Kunming to Vancouver via Nanjing and to San Francisco via Qingdao. And its route from Chengdu to Los Angeles via Nanjing will be suspended beginning Tuesday.
Fear of coronavirus continues to grow as the death toll rises. According to the World Health Organization, there were more than 14,000 confirmed cases of the disease worldwide as of Sunday. So far, the coronavirus outbreak has caused 305 confirmed deaths, with all but one of the fatalities occurring in China.
China Eastern is a member of the a SkyTeam frequent-flyer alliance and a partner for Delta. Its U.S. destinations include Chicago O’Hare, Honolulu (HNL), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) and San Francisco as well as the U.S.-controlled Pacific territory of Saipan (SPN), according to Cirium schedule data.
Hainan Airlines flies from China to six U.S. cities: Boston (BOS), Chicago O’Hare, Los Angeles, New York JFK, Seattle (SEA) and San Jose (SJC) in California. The carrier recently stopped service to Las Vegas (LAS).
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees