Hainan Airlines has officially left Las Vegas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Chinese carrier ended service between Beijing Capital (PEK) and Las Vegas (LAS) after three years on Saturday, McCarran chief marketing officer Chris Jones confirmed to TPG. Hainan was the only airline offering nonstop flights between the Nevada city and China.
Hainan also removed all of its remaining flights on the Beijing-Las Vegas route from schedules over the weekend, according to Cirium schedule data.
“It’s definitely disappointing,” said Jones. “In this industry there are often factors beyond our control that will work for or against a particular piece of business. Hopefully conditions will improve and we can revisit this again sometime down the line, as I believe there is a market for this city pair.”
Hainan’s retrenchment comes amid financial challenges for its parent HNA Group. The highly leveraged conglomerate has been forced to divest many of its investments to raise cash, including selling low-cost unit HK Express to Cathay Pacific Airways last year and its stake in Brazilian carrier Azul in 2018.
At the same time, trade tensions between China and the U.S. have heightened under the Trump administration. Both American Airlines and United Airlines have reduced capacity in the market, with the former ending all flights between Chicago and China.
Following Hainan’s exit, Korean Air is left as the only carrier operating nonstop to Asia from Las Vegas. The SkyTeam Alliance carrier, and Delta Air Lines partner, offers daily service to Seoul Incheon (ICN) with Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, Cirium shows.
Hainan was not immediately available for comment.
In the U.S., the carrier continues to serve Boston (BOS), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), San Jose (SJC) in California, and Seattle (SEA), according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by Florian Gaertner/Photothek via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees