Delta Air Lines to be first U.S. carrier at Beijing’s new airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will begin flying from Daxing (PKX) on March 28, according to Cirium schedules and confirmed by Delta. The airline’s last flights from Beijing Capital (PEK) will depart the day before.
Delta will be the first carrier to connect Daxing and the U.S., the schedules show. The carrier will serve Detroit (DTW) with an Airbus A350-900, and Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) with a Boeing 767-300ER.
China’s president Xi Jinping opened Daxing in September. Located south of Beijing, the airport is designed to handle roughly 72 million passengers a year and support dual hubs operated by both China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines.
Delta executives previously said the airline would move to Daxing, in order to co-locate with partner China Eastern, in 2020 without providing a date.
“The brand new Daxing International Airport will provide us a great opportunity to better serve the growing needs of our customers in China,” Wong Hong, president of Greater China and Singapore at Delta, said in a statement. “As Delta operates in the new mega airport, working with China Eastern side by side, customers will enjoy the improved departure and arrival times, seamless connection, more convenient baggage delivery, and faster security check, customs and boarding/arrival procedures.”
American Airlines is also expected to move to Daxing so that it can co-locate with its partner China Southern’s hub. The Oneworld member has not provided a timeline for its planned move.
United Airlines, which partners with Air China, has said it will remain at Beijing Capital airport.
Featured image by Ethan Steinberg/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees