China’s president opens Beijing’s massive new Daxing airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China’s president Xi Jinping has officially opened Beijing’s massive new Daxing Airport, a facility that is expected to quickly become one of the busiest in the world.
Xi called the new airport a “powerful source of national development” in a ceremony on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
Beijing Daxing (airport code PKX) is designed to handle 72 million passengers annually, or roughly the equivalent of the traffic that currently flies through Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), the world’s 15th busiest. Last year, the Chinese capital’s Beijing Capital (PEK) airport was the second busiest in the world with more than 100 million passengers, according to the Airport Council International’s (ACI) annual ranking.
The centerpiece of the new Daxing airport is a star-shaped terminal designed by Zaha Hadid Architects. The 7.5 million square foot terminal, plus the more than 860,000 square foot ground transportation center, has 79 contact gates and will boast hubs for both China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines.
Air China will continue to operate its main hub from Beijing Capital.
U.S. carriers have yet to commit to Daxing. Both American Airlines and Delta Air Lines are evaluating a possible move to the new airport to remain close to their partners, China Southern and China Eastern, respectively. United Airlines will remain at Beijing Capital with its partner Air China.
Delta spokeswoman Susannah Thurston said the Skyteam Alliance carrier is in discussions for slots at Daxing airport and hopes to make a decision soon.
Featured image by VCG/VCG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees