China’s president opens Beijing’s massive new Daxing airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China’s president Xi Jinping has officially opened Beijing’s massive new Daxing Airport, a facility that is expected to quickly become one of the busiest in the world.
Xi called the new airport a “powerful source of national development” in a ceremony on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
Beijing Daxing (airport code PKX) is designed to handle 72 million passengers annually, or roughly the equivalent of the traffic that currently flies through Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), the world’s 15th busiest. Last year, the Chinese capital’s Beijing Capital (PEK) airport was the second busiest in the world with more than 100 million passengers, according to the Airport Council International’s (ACI) annual ranking.
The centerpiece of the new Daxing airport is a star-shaped terminal designed by Zaha Hadid Architects. The 7.5 million square foot terminal, plus the more than 860,000 square foot ground transportation center, has 79 contact gates and will boast hubs for both China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines.
Air China will continue to operate its main hub from Beijing Capital.
U.S. carriers have yet to commit to Daxing. Both American Airlines and Delta Air Lines are evaluating a possible move to the new airport to remain close to their partners, China Southern and China Eastern, respectively. United Airlines will remain at Beijing Capital with its partner Air China.
Delta spokeswoman Susannah Thurston said the Skyteam Alliance carrier is in discussions for slots at Daxing airport and hopes to make a decision soon.
Featured image by VCG/VCG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.