Beijing’s Sprawling New Daxing Airport Finished, to Open This Fall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Crews have put the finishing touches on the new Beijing Daxing International airport that is due to open by the end of September.
State media reports that work on the more than 7.5 million square foot terminal south of Beijing wrapped up on Sunday, with the first passenger flights expected by Sept. 30. The terminal is designed by Zaha Hadid Architects.
Daxing (PKX) will complement Beijing Capital (PEK), the Chinese capital’s existing airport northeast of the city, serving Beijing.
China Southern Airlines is expected to move its entire operation to Daxing from Capital when the airport opens, the South China Morning Post reported in May. China Eastern Airlines is expected to move the majority of its flights, while Air China — the dominant carrier at Capital — will gain a small number of slots at the new airport.
US carriers American Airlines and Delta Air Lines have expressed interest in serving Daxing with their partners when it opens. American partners with China Southern, and Delta with China Eastern.
American spokeswoman Nichelle Tait says the Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier is “closely considering” relocating flights to Daxing airport, but adds that it has not made a decision.
Similarly, Delta is “gathering information” on the new airport before making a decision on whether to move, says spokeswoman Susannah Thurston.
American serves Beijing from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Los Angeles (LAX), having officially dropped service from Chicago O’Hare last month. Delta serves the city from Detroit (DTW) and Seattle (SEA).
Corrections and clarifications: This post has been updated with the correct spelling of Beijing’s new Daxing airport.
Featured photo by VCG/VCG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.