Chase and United extend cobranded card partnership through 2029
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The longstanding relationship between Chase and United will carry on for at least another decade, as the two companies announced an extension of their cobranded credit card partnership on Friday. The agreement continues a relationship that has spanned over three decades and is now slated to run through at least 2029, ensuring that Chase will continue to be the exclusive issuer of United MileagePlus credit cards.
The news comes less than a year after Delta and American Express announced a similar extension of their contract and displays just how lucrative these relationships can be. The press release from United and Chase notes that their cobranded card portfolio has enjoyed seven straight quarters of double-digit, year-over-year growth, likely buoyed by limited-time offers and the launch of the new United Business Card earlier this year. In fact, Gary at View from the Wing notes that United’s 8-K filing with the SEC includes the following note on the deal:
“The Company currently estimates that the new commercial terms, anticipated portfolio growth and participation in Chase Ultimate Rewards will increase the annual cash contribution to the Company by approximately $400 million in 2020 from the combined impact of the Agreement and the amendment to the agreement with Visa.”
While this statement confirms that United will remain as a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards, it’s unclear exactly where the additional $400 million in revenue will come from.
Statements from executives at both Chase and United touted the consumer benefits of the extended agreement, including hints at future changes as well. Ed Olebe, president of Chase Cobranded Cards, mentioned “exciting new offerings and experiences for our customers to look forward to in 2020 and beyond” — though it remains to be seen exactly what these would be and when they’d launch.
READ MORE: Best credit cards for United flyers
Despite the carrier removing its published award chart in Nov. 2019 — and subsequently adding a mileage surcharge for last-minute awards — there are still many great uses of United miles, and carrying a United card in your wallet can be quite valuable. Many of the cards provide a free checked bag when you pay for your trip with the card along with enhanced award availability on United-operated flights, which can be especially rewarding for those living in United hub cities.
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees