This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 11/28/18 4:50pm ET: The Charlotte City Council meeting records have been updated to show that the lease agreement to open a Centurion Lounge at CLT was passed unanimously.
Good news: the standard setting, TPG favorite Centurion Lounge might be coming to Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) in 2019.
Already a staple in domestic airports, international airports and some sports arenas, American Express has been expanding the Centurion Lounge network with plans to open new locations in Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK) in progress, and no signs of slowing down.
As of today, the City of Charlotte will be discussing the possibility of a 10-year lease (plus two five-year extension options) with American Express to open a lounge in CLT.
The lounge, if approved, is expected to be on the third floor of the airport and approximately 13,295 square feet. The opening is predicted to be sometime in Autumn 2019 and will be a part of an expansion project in the airport’s east terminal, between concourses D and E. It’ll cost American Express an initial payment of $5 million and “a minimum of $3,000,000 of on-property advertising expenditures over the initial 10-year term,” plus an additional $525,701, resulting in a 10-year lease of $10.5 million total.
Centurion Lounges are known for truly showcasing the home city in which the airport is located. By incorporating complimentary local cuisine, spa treatments and specialized cocktails, the lounges have become quite the popular spot for travelers to attend while in the airport. They’ve even had to set certain capacity restrictions due to overcrowding. In order to gain access to the lounge network, travelers must have The Platinum Card® from American Express or be Centurion Cardholders. For more information, see our official guide to Amex Centurion Lounges.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards