Help yourself: Amex Centurion lounges bring back self-serve food options
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express’ Centurion Lounges will be eliminating employee-served and prepackaged food and bringing back self-serve options at some of America’s largest airports.
Since last year, due to the pandemic, most of the lounges — located at airports in more than a dozen major cities — have offered food served by lounge employees, while those at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) and Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) provided prepackaged meal selections (also primarily handed out by employees).
“As state and local governments and health authorities continue to reevaluate local guidelines, The Centurion Lounge locations will transition from served food to self-service,” said a spokesperson from Amex. “Card Members will continue to see enhanced cleaning protocols and procedures in place across the Centurion Network, as part of the Centurion Lounge Commitment.”
A timeline for the change hasn’t yet been revealed, but it will take effect across all lounge locations eventually.
Despite the 2020 travel slowdown, Amex expanded its Centurion Lounge presence at four additional gateways, adding the lounges in Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX), Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), Los Angeles and New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
It also managed to open one in Denver International Airport (DEN) earlier this year, with an additional one planned for London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) in 2021. Expanded lounges are scheduled to debut at New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) and Las Vegas’ McCarran International Airport (LAS) later this year, as well.
Related: New lounges from Centurion
So how do you get into the Centurion lounges?
If you have an American Express branded Centurion card or a Platinum-branded card such as The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express you can get into Centurion lounges for free.
Authorized users with the Platinum or Centurion cards are also eligible for access. You may add up to three authorized users to the personal Platinum Card for a total of $175 per year (see rates & fees).
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card cardmembers also get access, but you must be flying a Delta flight on the same day for access.
Additional reporting by Zach Griff and Katie Genter.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees