Inside airport lounge to-go boxes: A 2020 pandemic special
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
COVID-19 has led to some notable shifts when it comes to travel-related amenities.
During a handful of budget hotel stays on a recent road trip, I encountered a pandemic-fueled pivot from a vast lobby buffet to brown paper bags filled with items so sugary, even the most relaxed of public school districts would balk.
Airport lounge visitors have been a bit more fortunate, however — while to-go meals have also become the norm at a handful of popular lounges, the options are often a step up from what I was provided at roadside hotels.
Naturally, when it comes to “to-go” treats, the American Express Centurion Lounge takes the cake (note: cake reference for cliche purposes only).
Amex is also offering to-go boxes at its Philadelphia (PHL) and Seattle (SEA) locations.
LAX options include:
- Lavash Wrap (Roasted Maitake Mushroom, Avocado, Arugula, Tarragon Aioli)
- Lavash Wrap (Pollo alla Diavola, Avocado, Arugula, Tarragon Aioli)
- House Made Potato Chips (Kennebec Potatoes, Onion Dip)
- Breakfast Bar (Shortbread Cookie, Orange Marmalade, Streusel)
Breakfast Philadelphia to-go boxes include:
- Seasonal Fruit Salad
- Greek Yogurt Parfait (Greek Yogurt, Fresh Berries, Housemade Granola)
- Boreka of The Day (Seasonally Inspired Puff Pastry)
- Seasonal Hand Fruit
While PHL lunch/dinner guests can choose from:
- Merguez Shwarma (Housemade Merguez, Garlic Tehina, Tomato, Cucumber)
- Eggplant Shwarma (Grilled Eggplant, Garlic Tehina, Tomato, Cucumber)
- Babaganoush (Eggplant, Tehina, Crudite)
- Chopped Merguez Salad (Baby Greens, Seasonal Vegetable, Housemade Merguez, Herb Vinaigrette)
- Dessert (Chocolate Chip Cookie, Seasonal Hand Fruit)
Meanwhile, at SEA, here’s what you’ll get at breakfast:
- Seasonal Mixed Fruit Bowls (Ellenos, Non-Fat Greek Yogurt Parfait)
- Chia Coconut Oatmeal Bowl
- Hard Boiled Egg
- Breakfast Pastry
- Select Beverage (Orange Juice, Fruit Smoothie du jour)
- Greek Chicken Wrap
- Oriental Soba Salad (Chicken, Orange Sesame Vinaigrette)
- Vegetarian (Winter Fennel and Celery Salad, Lemon Herb Vinaigrette)
- Mixed Green Salad (Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing)
- Premium Tortilla Chips
- Dessert (Seasonal Select, Hand Fruit)
- Beverage (Agua Fresca, Unsweetened Iced Tea, Cold Brew Coffee, Regular and Decaf Coffee, Hot Tea)
LAX has also given airlines an opportunity to dream up new packaged-meal offerings, as I encountered during my recent visit to the airport’s United Club.
Guests aren’t permitted to remove their masks to eat or drink in the lounge, but can enjoy their snacks on the airline’s terrace, as space permits.
TPG’s Chris Dong witnessed a similar arrangement at the Admirals Club in New York, with American Airlines insisting that visitors enjoy their snacks outside of the lounge as well.
It can be exciting to snag some treats “for the road,” but I definitely miss the diverse array of airport lounge food, from Lufthansa’s outstanding schnitzel to the self-serve noodle bar at the Star Alliance Lounge at LAX.
As much as we all miss our beloved travel perks, with more great vaccine news this week, we hopefully won’t have to wait too much longer for many to return.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.