Inside airport lounge to-go boxes: A 2020 pandemic special
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
COVID-19 has led to some notable shifts when it comes to travel-related amenities.
During a handful of budget hotel stays on a recent road trip, I encountered a pandemic-fueled pivot from a vast lobby buffet to brown paper bags filled with items so sugary, even the most relaxed of public school districts would balk.
Airport lounge visitors have been a bit more fortunate, however — while to-go meals have also become the norm at a handful of popular lounges, the options are often a step up from what I was provided at roadside hotels.
Naturally, when it comes to “to-go” treats, the American Express Centurion Lounge takes the cake (note: cake reference for cliche purposes only).
Amex is also offering to-go boxes at its Philadelphia (PHL) and Seattle (SEA) locations.
LAX options include:
- Lavash Wrap (Roasted Maitake Mushroom, Avocado, Arugula, Tarragon Aioli)
- Lavash Wrap (Pollo alla Diavola, Avocado, Arugula, Tarragon Aioli)
- House Made Potato Chips (Kennebec Potatoes, Onion Dip)
- Breakfast Bar (Shortbread Cookie, Orange Marmalade, Streusel)
Breakfast Philadelphia to-go boxes include:
- Seasonal Fruit Salad
- Greek Yogurt Parfait (Greek Yogurt, Fresh Berries, Housemade Granola)
- Boreka of The Day (Seasonally Inspired Puff Pastry)
- Seasonal Hand Fruit
While PHL lunch/dinner guests can choose from:
- Merguez Shwarma (Housemade Merguez, Garlic Tehina, Tomato, Cucumber)
- Eggplant Shwarma (Grilled Eggplant, Garlic Tehina, Tomato, Cucumber)
- Babaganoush (Eggplant, Tehina, Crudite)
- Chopped Merguez Salad (Baby Greens, Seasonal Vegetable, Housemade Merguez, Herb Vinaigrette)
- Dessert (Chocolate Chip Cookie, Seasonal Hand Fruit)
Meanwhile, at SEA, here’s what you’ll get at breakfast:
- Seasonal Mixed Fruit Bowls (Ellenos, Non-Fat Greek Yogurt Parfait)
- Chia Coconut Oatmeal Bowl
- Hard Boiled Egg
- Breakfast Pastry
- Select Beverage (Orange Juice, Fruit Smoothie du jour)
- Greek Chicken Wrap
- Oriental Soba Salad (Chicken, Orange Sesame Vinaigrette)
- Vegetarian (Winter Fennel and Celery Salad, Lemon Herb Vinaigrette)
- Mixed Green Salad (Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing)
- Premium Tortilla Chips
- Dessert (Seasonal Select, Hand Fruit)
- Beverage (Agua Fresca, Unsweetened Iced Tea, Cold Brew Coffee, Regular and Decaf Coffee, Hot Tea)
LAX has also given airlines an opportunity to dream up new packaged-meal offerings, as I encountered during my recent visit to the airport’s United Club.
Guests aren’t permitted to remove their masks to eat or drink in the lounge, but can enjoy their snacks on the airline’s terrace, as space permits.
TPG’s Chris Dong witnessed a similar arrangement at the Admirals Club in New York, with American Airlines insisting that visitors enjoy their snacks outside of the lounge as well.
It can be exciting to snag some treats “for the road,” but I definitely miss the diverse array of airport lounge food, from Lufthansa’s outstanding schnitzel to the self-serve noodle bar at the Star Alliance Lounge at LAX.
As much as we all miss our beloved travel perks, with more great vaccine news this week, we hopefully won’t have to wait too much longer for many to return.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees