Pilots and air traffic controllers can now take the Pfizer vaccine, FAA says
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday evening, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use.
A massive coordination effort is underway between the local and federal government, hospitals, pharmacy chains and logistics companies — including airlines — as the vaccine is readied for use by early next week.
With the Pfizer vaccine now available for the U.S. public as early as Monday, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has also taken the extraordinary step to provide vaccination authorization and guidelines for pilots and air traffic controllers.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The FAA has approved aviation professionals with medical certifications or medical clearances to be vaccinated. However, these individuals must also observe a period of 48 hours following administration of the vaccine before being permitted to fly or perform air traffic control duties.
With two doses of the vaccine required 21 days apart, the 48-hour waiting period applies to each dose. Of note, the 48-hour waiting period isn’t new. In fact, the administration of other vaccines, including those for tuberculosis and typhoid requires the same process.
Just in: FAA has cleared the use of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine by pilots. After each dose, they will have to wait 48 hours before flying. Earlier this week, the FAA said it would quickly review the vaccine following FDA authorization.
— Pete Muntean (@petemuntean) December 12, 2020
The FAA has said that it doesn’t anticipate taking additional measures to ensure safety after the initial window for side effects closes. And while these vaccine guidelines only pertain to the Pfizer version, the FAA plans to evaluate vaccines from other manufacturers as they receive FDA authorization in the coming weeks and months.
Earlier this month, Pfizer already tapped United Airlines to help position the vaccine around the world. In fact, United has a distinct title as the first commercial airline to fly the now-FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine. On behalf of Pfizer, the airline operated five cargo-only flights in early December delivering COVID-19 vaccines from Brussels to Chicago.
Now, Pfizer’s precious cargo — at minus-94 degrees Fahrenheit — will start rolling out of plants in Michigan and Wisconsin on Sunday to hospitals nationwide.
Featured photo courtesy of United.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees