Cathay Pacific Will Fly From Seattle to Hong Kong In 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just weeks after Delta announced plans to end service between Seattle (SEA) and Hong Kong (HKG), Cathay Pacific has swooped in to announce a new flight of its own.
Cathay’s new service will launch on April 1, 2019 and will operate four days per week with the airline’s Airbus A350-900, which I reviewed on one of the world’s longest flights earlier this year.
The flight will operate with the following schedule.
- CX857 Seattle (SEA) 1:05am Departure → Hong Kong (HKG) 5:25am (+1) Arrival (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday)
- CX858 Hong Kong (HKG) 11:55pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 9:00pm Arrival (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday)
The early morning Hong Kong arrival will allow passengers to make connections to virtually any Cathay Pacific flight onward in Asia, while the late departure will accomplish the same on the return.
The A350 is Cathay’s first long-haul aircraft to offer in-flight Wi-Fi. There are 38 lie-flat seats in business class, arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. In addition, there’s 28 premium economy seats arranged 2-4-2, and 214 seats arranged 3-3-3 in coach.
Cathay flights can be booked using miles from Oneworld partners, including American Airlines, in addition to Alaska’s Mileage Plan program. With AAdvantage miles, you’ll need to redeem 70,000 miles to book business class or 37,500 miles for economy each way. With Alaska miles, awards cost just 50,000 miles for business; 35,000 for premium economy or 30,000 miles each way in coach. Plus, you can add a free stopover in Hong Kong before flying to another destination in Asia on Cathay Pacific — even on one-way awards.
Awards are bookable now, and space in all three cabins appears to be quite plentiful:
Cathay Pacific also offers nonstop service between Hong Kong and San Francisco (SFO), Vancouver (YVR), Los Angeles (LAX), Chicago (ORD), Boston (BOS) and New York (EWR and JFK). A flight to Washington, D.C. (IAD) will launch with the new Airbus A350-1000 in September.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees