Cathay Pacific Will Fly From Seattle to Hong Kong In 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just weeks after Delta announced plans to end service between Seattle (SEA) and Hong Kong (HKG), Cathay Pacific has swooped in to announce a new flight of its own.
Cathay’s new service will launch on April 1, 2019 and will operate four days per week with the airline’s Airbus A350-900, which I reviewed on one of the world’s longest flights earlier this year.
The flight will operate with the following schedule.
- CX857 Seattle (SEA) 1:05am Departure → Hong Kong (HKG) 5:25am (+1) Arrival (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday)
- CX858 Hong Kong (HKG) 11:55pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 9:00pm Arrival (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday)
The early morning Hong Kong arrival will allow passengers to make connections to virtually any Cathay Pacific flight onward in Asia, while the late departure will accomplish the same on the return.
The A350 is Cathay’s first long-haul aircraft to offer in-flight Wi-Fi. There are 38 lie-flat seats in business class, arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. In addition, there’s 28 premium economy seats arranged 2-4-2, and 214 seats arranged 3-3-3 in coach.
Cathay flights can be booked using miles from Oneworld partners, including American Airlines, in addition to Alaska’s Mileage Plan program. With AAdvantage miles, you’ll need to redeem 70,000 miles to book business class or 37,500 miles for economy each way. With Alaska miles, awards cost just 50,000 miles for business; 35,000 for premium economy or 30,000 miles each way in coach. Plus, you can add a free stopover in Hong Kong before flying to another destination in Asia on Cathay Pacific — even on one-way awards.
Awards are bookable now, and space in all three cabins appears to be quite plentiful:
Cathay Pacific also offers nonstop service between Hong Kong and San Francisco (SFO), Vancouver (YVR), Los Angeles (LAX), Chicago (ORD), Boston (BOS) and New York (EWR and JFK). A flight to Washington, D.C. (IAD) will launch with the new Airbus A350-1000 in September.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.