Cathay Launches Its New Longest Nonstop Route, Between Hong Kong and Washington
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific is expanding its presence on the East Coast of the US. As reported by the South China Morning Post, Cathay is expected to launch a new nonstop route between Hong Kong (HKG) and Washington, DC (IAD). Sources familiar with the matter confirmed to the Post that the carrier is expected to make a formal announcement next week.
With the launch of the IAD-HKG route, which is expected to commence in 2018, Washington, DC, will now have its only nonstop option to Hong Kong. The 17-hour flight will be operated by one of the carrier’s A350 aircraft.
IAD-HKG will also be Cathay Pacific’s longest nonstop route. Previously, Cathay’s longest flight was its nonstop between New York (JFK) and HKG, coming in at around 8,072 miles. However, this new IAD nonstop is just more than 80 miles longer, coming in at 8,154 miles in total. Cathay also flies nonstop from HKG to San Francisco (SFO), Vancouver (YVR), Los Angeles (LAX), Chicago (ORD), Boston (BOS) and New York (EWR and JFK).
More fuel efficient aircraft, such as the A350 that Cathay will use on the route, make ultra long-haul routes like this potentially more profitable for airlines. Currently, Cathay serves the US mostly with Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, with more capacity than the A350 but higher fuel burn.
Ultra-long-hauls from Asia to the US are not new. Singapore Airlines used to fly the world’s longest nonstop from Singapore to Newark with the A340-500, but ended the route because of the four-engined jet’s relatively low fuel efficiency. But now, twinjets like the A350 mean that these extremely long flights can make money rather than be just prestige routes.
And it’s not just Airbus offering fuel-efficient aircraft — Qantas is launching the world’s longest route between London (LHR) and Perth (PER), a whopping 9,010 miles, in March 2018, with the Boeing 787-9.
Cathay’s A350 has three cabins: business, premium economy and economy. The business-class cabin offers 38 lie-flat suites that have 45 inches of pitch and are 20 inches wide arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. The premium economy cabin is comprised of 28 seats in a 2-4-2 configuration. Each seat has 40 inches of pitch and is 20 inches wide. The economy cabin has 214 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration. Each seat has 32 inches of pitch and is 18 inches wide.
With the addition of this IAD-HKG route, DC now has several nonstop routes to Asia. Options include nonstop from DC to Tokyo (NRT), operated by ANA and United; Seoul (ICN), operated by Korean Air; Beijing (PEK), operated by Air China and United; or Hong Kong (HKG), operated by Cathay Pacific.
*Correction: This story was amended to reflect the fact that Cathay’s previous longest route was not between Dallas and Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific does not fly to Dallas.
Featured image by Transport Pixels / Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees