Delta Ends Flights to Hong Kong — and Adds Two Routes to Asia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta announced Thursday that it will be ending its service to Hong Kong (HKG) on October 4. The airline currently operates just one route to Hong Kong, with six weekly flights from Seattle (SEA) it has been operating since 2014.
“Delta will continue to serve Hong Kong from Seattle via Seoul-ICN, with its joint venture partner Korean Air,” the airline said in a press release.
In its place, Delta is resuming non-stop service between Seattle and Osaka-Kansai (KIX), Japan, starting sometime in 2019. It had ended that route in 2013 citing weak demand, according to FlightGlobal.
The “new” route will be served by one of the airline’s Boeing 767-300ERs, which have an older, lie-flat business class product and do not feature the Delta One suite.
On Wednesday we learned that Delta will also be launching non-stop service between its Minneapolis (MSP) hub and Seoul-Incheon (ICN) at an unannounced date in 2019. This will be the first direct service between Minneapolis and South Korea. Delta plans to deploy a refurbished Boeing 777-200ER aircraft for this route, which will have the new Delta One suite as well as Premium Select.
No other carriers fly between Seattle and Hong Kong, but American Airlines and United both offer non-stop service to Hong Kong from several cities in the US.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.