Delta Ends Flights to Hong Kong — and Adds Two Routes to Asia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta announced Thursday that it will be ending its service to Hong Kong (HKG) on October 4. The airline currently operates just one route to Hong Kong, with six weekly flights from Seattle (SEA) it has been operating since 2014.
“Delta will continue to serve Hong Kong from Seattle via Seoul-ICN, with its joint venture partner Korean Air,” the airline said in a press release.
In its place, Delta is resuming non-stop service between Seattle and Osaka-Kansai (KIX), Japan, starting sometime in 2019. It had ended that route in 2013 citing weak demand, according to FlightGlobal.
The “new” route will be served by one of the airline’s Boeing 767-300ERs, which have an older, lie-flat business class product and do not feature the Delta One suite.
On Wednesday we learned that Delta will also be launching non-stop service between its Minneapolis (MSP) hub and Seoul-Incheon (ICN) at an unannounced date in 2019. This will be the first direct service between Minneapolis and South Korea. Delta plans to deploy a refurbished Boeing 777-200ER aircraft for this route, which will have the new Delta One suite as well as Premium Select.
No other carriers fly between Seattle and Hong Kong, but American Airlines and United both offer non-stop service to Hong Kong from several cities in the US.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees