Cathay Pacific adds free Wi-Fi for first-class passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that we at TPG love Cathay Pacific’s first-class product. In fact, redeeming Alaska Airlines miles to fly Cathay first is one of the best points redemptions around.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Love letter to Cathay aside, positive news has just been announced for first-class flyers. As noted by One Mile at a Time, effective immediately, all planes featuring inflight Wi-Fi will offer the service free to its first-class customers. Though Wi-Fi isn’t yet available on its entire fleet, 20 out of 31 of its aircraft offering first class are equipped with the service.
Cathay Pacific is actually fairly reasonable when it comes to the cost of its Wi-Fi — at $10 for an hour, $13 for up to six hours and $20 for the length of the flight. This is an especially good deal on some of Cathay’s longer routes, like its New York to Hong Kong flights, which clocks in at a massive 16 hours.
Of course, Cathay isn’t the first airline to offer free Wi-Fi to its customers. At least a dozen airlines around the world offer varying types of free Wi-Fi. Some have gone Cathay’s route and are offering it to premium passengers only, while others, like JetBlue, offer free Wi-Fi to all passengers on board.
This is an exciting update for the troubled airline, whose decision to cut capacity last week came as a result of continuing unrest in Hong Kong.
Featured photo by Emily McNutt/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees