Cathay Pacific adds free Wi-Fi for first-class passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that we at TPG love Cathay Pacific’s first-class product. In fact, redeeming Alaska Airlines miles to fly Cathay first is one of the best points redemptions around.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Love letter to Cathay aside, positive news has just been announced for first-class flyers. As noted by One Mile at a Time, effective immediately, all planes featuring inflight Wi-Fi will offer the service free to its first-class customers. Though Wi-Fi isn’t yet available on its entire fleet, 20 out of 31 of its aircraft offering first class are equipped with the service.
Cathay Pacific is actually fairly reasonable when it comes to the cost of its Wi-Fi — at $10 for an hour, $13 for up to six hours and $20 for the length of the flight. This is an especially good deal on some of Cathay’s longer routes, like its New York to Hong Kong flights, which clocks in at a massive 16 hours.
Of course, Cathay isn’t the first airline to offer free Wi-Fi to its customers. At least a dozen airlines around the world offer varying types of free Wi-Fi. Some have gone Cathay’s route and are offering it to premium passengers only, while others, like JetBlue, offer free Wi-Fi to all passengers on board.
This is an exciting update for the troubled airline, whose decision to cut capacity last week came as a result of continuing unrest in Hong Kong.
Featured photo by Emily McNutt/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.