This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Cathay Pacific published a — what many thought to be — too-good-to-be-true mistake fare. For less than $1,000, Cathay was showing round-trip business-class and first-class fares between Asia and the US. If you were one of the lucky buyers, Cathay Pacific is starting your 2019 off with good news. The airline announced on its Twitter account that it’ll honor the “VERY good surprise” mistake fare.
Several TPG staffers were able to hop on the deal, purchasing round-trip ticket’s in Cathay’s fantastic first class for less than $800. Typically, transpacific fares from New York (JFK) to Asia in Cathay first run around $30,000. So, to say that this mistake fare was an incredible deal is an understatement. Check out these full reviews of Cathay’s business class and first class.
With Cathay honoring the mistake, flyers everywhere who were able to take advantage can look forward to the famed products — whether it be in first or business class. And though Cathay is honoring the fare, the airline’s joked on Twitter that it’s learned its lesson.
Mistake fares are nothing new. And airlines aren’t required to honor them. In fact, in most cases it seems that airlines take to canceling tickets purchased as the result of a mistake. Recently, British Airways canceled thousands of mistake fares that priced tickets at just £1. Air New Zealand canceled its $944 round-trip business-class mistake in September 2017, Air France canceled its La Première mistake fare in December 2017 and Virgin Australia canceled sub-$200 fares to Australia. More recently, Delta Air Lines claimed that a mistake fare published on its site for travel on Kenya Airways was “illegal.”
With this decision, Cathay joins the ranks of airlines doing good on their mistake — and likely earning some respect from travelers for doing so.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that