Cathay Pacific Is Honoring Amazing Business and First Mistake Fare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Cathay Pacific published a — what many thought to be — too-good-to-be-true mistake fare. For less than $1,000, Cathay was showing round-trip business-class and first-class fares between Asia and the US. If you were one of the lucky buyers, Cathay Pacific is starting your 2019 off with good news. The airline announced on its Twitter account that it’ll honor the “VERY good surprise” mistake fare.
Several TPG staffers were able to hop on the deal, purchasing round-trip ticket’s in Cathay’s fantastic first class for less than $800. Typically, transpacific fares from New York (JFK) to Asia in Cathay first run around $30,000. So, to say that this mistake fare was an incredible deal is an understatement. Check out these full reviews of Cathay’s business class and first class.
With Cathay honoring the mistake, flyers everywhere who were able to take advantage can look forward to the famed products — whether it be in first or business class. And though Cathay is honoring the fare, the airline’s joked on Twitter that it’s learned its lesson.
Mistake fares are nothing new. And airlines aren’t required to honor them. In fact, in most cases it seems that airlines take to canceling tickets purchased as the result of a mistake. Recently, British Airways canceled thousands of mistake fares that priced tickets at just £1. Air New Zealand canceled its $944 round-trip business-class mistake in September 2017, Air France canceled its La Première mistake fare in December 2017 and Virgin Australia canceled sub-$200 fares to Australia. More recently, Delta Air Lines claimed that a mistake fare published on its site for travel on Kenya Airways was “illegal.”
With this decision, Cathay joins the ranks of airlines doing good on their mistake — and likely earning some respect from travelers for doing so.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees