Cathay Pacific Is Honoring Amazing Business and First Mistake Fare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Cathay Pacific published a — what many thought to be — too-good-to-be-true mistake fare. For less than $1,000, Cathay was showing round-trip business-class and first-class fares between Asia and the US. If you were one of the lucky buyers, Cathay Pacific is starting your 2019 off with good news. The airline announced on its Twitter account that it’ll honor the “VERY good surprise” mistake fare.
Several TPG staffers were able to hop on the deal, purchasing round-trip ticket’s in Cathay’s fantastic first class for less than $800. Typically, transpacific fares from New York (JFK) to Asia in Cathay first run around $30,000. So, to say that this mistake fare was an incredible deal is an understatement. Check out these full reviews of Cathay’s business class and first class.
With Cathay honoring the mistake, flyers everywhere who were able to take advantage can look forward to the famed products — whether it be in first or business class. And though Cathay is honoring the fare, the airline’s joked on Twitter that it’s learned its lesson.
Mistake fares are nothing new. And airlines aren’t required to honor them. In fact, in most cases it seems that airlines take to canceling tickets purchased as the result of a mistake. Recently, British Airways canceled thousands of mistake fares that priced tickets at just £1. Air New Zealand canceled its $944 round-trip business-class mistake in September 2017, Air France canceled its La Première mistake fare in December 2017 and Virgin Australia canceled sub-$200 fares to Australia. More recently, Delta Air Lines claimed that a mistake fare published on its site for travel on Kenya Airways was “illegal.”
With this decision, Cathay joins the ranks of airlines doing good on their mistake — and likely earning some respect from travelers for doing so.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees