Hong Kong Airlines Will Honor ~$600 Business Flights to Asia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US newcomer Hong Kong Airlines took our community by storm yesterday with its outrageously cheap business-class tickets to Asia. For much of the day, you could book a round-trip flight in a lie-flat seat between the West Coast and Asia for less than $600. And many of us did.
While we of course hoped that the airline would honor the super-cheap tickets, there’s never a guarantee — years ago, “mistake fares” had a much better chance of being honored, but recently that’s been less often the case, with numerous carriers canceling tickets priced in error.
Fortunately, Hong Kong Airlines has made the right call here, and will honor any bookings that have been issued a ticket number — if your ticket was held but not issued, you’ll need to contact the carrier at 855-393-3880 to see if your hold will be honored. (Be warned — I waited 45 minutes just to get an agent on the line.)
Hong Kong Airlines flies brand-new Airbus A350-900s on its routes to the US, including staggered lie-flat seats in business class:
While yesterday’s flights were priced starting at $561, you’ll normally need to pay $3,000 and up for business travel on the same routes, which included Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) to Shanghai (PVG), Bangkok (BKK), Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) and Bali (DPS).
I may be completely off-base here, but given how long the flights were available to book, and how quickly the airline confirmed that they’ll be honored, I suspect that this may have been an “unadvertised sale” instead of a mistake fare. In other words, with a need to sell seats and market its new flight, the airline let business-class tickets go for a fraction of the price, knowing that it would drum up quite a bit of buzz. If that is indeed the case, clearly the stunt was a success.
Of course the airline representative I spoke to wasn’t willing to provide any hints — he more or less stuck to a script, saying “As long as the ticket has been issued it will be honored. That is all that I can say.” The agent did confirm that he received a memo concerning the discounted fare, though, which reinforced that issued tickets would be honored.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees