Virgin Australia Cancelling $174 Mistake Fare Tickets to Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As it turns out, the $174 round-trip mistake fare from the US to Australia was, in fact, too good to be true. As reported by several TPG readers, Virgin Australia is emailing those who purchased tickets, informing them that it’s not proceeding with their booking.
The news comes more than one week after we published the spectacular deal alert on October 30. TPG readers indicated they received these emails on Wednesday — nine days after tickets were purchased. Virgin Australia is saying that the $174 round-trip tickets were “due to human error,” and “there was a discrepancy with the fare price advertised.” As a result, the carrier isn’t honoring the tickets.
Airlines aren’t required by the Department of Transportation to honor mistake fares, as long as they offer specific protections to the consumer. So, given how big of a mistake this fare was, it’s not much of a surprise. However, the fact that Virgin Australia is informing customers that it’s not honoring the fares nine days after people booked their tickets seems a little off. Usually, airlines let customers know they’re not going to honor fares just a few days later, so nine days is a bit much — especially for those who made plans, which could be quite a few people since Virgin Australia is cancelling these tickets more than a week after consumers purchased them.
Keep in mind that the Department of Transportation requires that the airline “reimburse all consumers who purchased a mistaken fare ticket for any reasonable, actual, and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses that were made in reliance upon the ticket purchase, in addition to refunding the purchase price of the ticket.” The DOT considers these expenses to include, but are not limited to, non-refundable hotel reservations, destination tour packages or activities, cancellation fees for non-refundable connecting air travel and visa or other international travel fees. So, if you made plans that fall into this category, Virgin Australia is required to refund you.
Of course, there’s always the chance that Virgin Australia could reverse its decision. In July, Qatar Airways published mistake fares in business class for $555 round-trip. In the aftermath, there was some confusion about whether the airline would honor the fares. But in the end, it canceled some but ended up reinstating others.
Featured image by Li Pang / Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees