Qatar Airways Canceled My $673 Business-Class Ticket to New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last night, we shared an outrageous business-class fare on flights operated by Qatar Airways, with travel originating in Vietnam priced from just $555 round-trip. Flights to the US came in around $700, which is a fantastic fare as well. In fact, to give you an idea of just how good a deal this was, some of the same itineraries are now pricing at more than $4,700 round-trip.
Like many TPG readers, I was thrilled — I’m a big fan of Qatar’s business-class product, and I figured this itinerary would give me an opportunity to fly the airline’s new Qsuite business class to New York once that launches “in September.”
Sadly, this trip wasn’t meant to be. I was waiting to confirm that I didn’t have any conflicts, so I put my flight on a free 48-hour hold. Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning, the itinerary had been canceled.
I gave the airline’s US number a ring at (877) 777-2827, but the agent stated that nothing could be done — the segments had been removed from my itinerary entirely. I was told:
“This ticket that was placed on hold is an invalid type of fare and has been canceled.”
He presented one option: Book a new ticket at the current price. Yeah, no thanks.
Unfortunately it sounds like some TPG readers are in the same boat, though flights that have been purchased still appear to be active. Again, be sure to avoid booking onward flights or making any other nonrefundable plans at this time, since it’s entirely possible that Qatar Airways could opt to cancel ticketed flights as well — though the airline would likely end up being on the hook for expenses incurred related to the canceled itinerary, if flights were booked to the US.
So what can we do? Not a whole lot, unfortunately. My ticket hold email confirmation clearly states:
Note: The price quoted is only guaranteed once payment has been made and ticket has been issued. If payment has not been made within the allocated time, your booking will be cancelled. Prices quoted when selecting ‘Pay later’ are only guaranteed for offline payment when purchased at a Qatar Airways office in the country of first departure and when paid in the currency quoted on the booking confirmation. Qatar Airways reserves the right to apply a surcharge or re-price the booking if payment is being made in any other country.
So, since my ticket hasn’t been issued, I’m out of luck here, it seems — my $0 base fare really was too good to be true:
While these flights had been labeled as a “Golden Ticket,” and the airline teased “a small surprise,” giving customers an opportunity to “experience the World’s Best Business Class,” it seems that this wasn’t the deal in question. Sadly, I won’t be trying out Qatar’s double bed in the sky (pictured above) anytime soon — at least not for $700 round-trip.
Has Qatar canceled your business-class booking?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees