Cathay brings back Betsy, the beer specially made to taste good on planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know the feeling of settling into your airplane seat and ordering a nice drink to kick off a vacation? And the feeling that maybe that drink tastes a bit off?
Even if you’re not much of an alcohol snob, you may have noticed a difference in the taste of your favorite drink while flying. You’re not crazy — the lack of humidity mixed with the lower air pressure than on the ground interferes with taste receptors, making certain drinks (and foods) taste different. Enter Betsy.
That’s what Cathay Pacific calls the specially brewed craft beer it has created specifically to be enjoyed at cruising altitude.
Betsy was first introduced in 2017 and was exclusive to first and business class on flights between Hong Kong and London. It was also only available for a limited time. Cathay is now reintroducing a new edition of the beer and making it available to passengers in all classes flying on select long-haul routes. Bottles will be served in Business and First Class and cans will be offered in Economy and Premium Economy. Travelers will also be able to give Betsy a taste at any of the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong lounges.
The name is an homage to Cathay’s first airplane, a Douglas DC-3 twin prop that started the fleet in 1946. As for what Betsy actually tastes like, it’s an unfiltered wheat beer, with higher carbonation than normal. According to Australia-based Executive Traveller, it’s “decidedly full-flavoured and noticeably sweet and aromatic” on the ground, but once in flight, the “formerly up-front sweetness is dialled back.”
You can sip the special beer on the following routes from Hong Kong: Adelaide, Auckland, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Boston, Brisbane, Brussels, Cairns, Chicago, Dubai, Dublin, Frankfurt, Johannesburg, London (Gatwick), London (Heathrow), Los Angeles, Madrid, Male, Manchester, Melbourne, Milan, New York (JFK), New York (Newark), Paris, Rome, San Francisco, Seattle, Sydney, Tel Aviv, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington DC, Zurich.
Cheers to that!
Featured photo courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.