Cathay brings back Betsy, the beer specially made to taste good on planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know the feeling of settling into your airplane seat and ordering a nice drink to kick off a vacation? And the feeling that maybe that drink tastes a bit off?
Even if you’re not much of an alcohol snob, you may have noticed a difference in the taste of your favorite drink while flying. You’re not crazy — the lack of humidity mixed with the lower air pressure than on the ground interferes with taste receptors, making certain drinks (and foods) taste different. Enter Betsy.
That’s what Cathay Pacific calls the specially brewed craft beer it has created specifically to be enjoyed at cruising altitude.
Betsy was first introduced in 2017 and was exclusive to first and business class on flights between Hong Kong and London. It was also only available for a limited time. Cathay is now reintroducing a new edition of the beer and making it available to passengers in all classes flying on select long-haul routes. Bottles will be served in Business and First Class and cans will be offered in Economy and Premium Economy. Travelers will also be able to give Betsy a taste at any of the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong lounges.
The name is an homage to Cathay’s first airplane, a Douglas DC-3 twin prop that started the fleet in 1946. As for what Betsy actually tastes like, it’s an unfiltered wheat beer, with higher carbonation than normal. According to Australia-based Executive Traveller, it’s “decidedly full-flavoured and noticeably sweet and aromatic” on the ground, but once in flight, the “formerly up-front sweetness is dialled back.”
You can sip the special beer on the following routes from Hong Kong: Adelaide, Auckland, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Boston, Brisbane, Brussels, Cairns, Chicago, Dubai, Dublin, Frankfurt, Johannesburg, London (Gatwick), London (Heathrow), Los Angeles, Madrid, Male, Manchester, Melbourne, Milan, New York (JFK), New York (Newark), Paris, Rome, San Francisco, Seattle, Sydney, Tel Aviv, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington DC, Zurich.
Cheers to that!
Featured photo courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees