Economy Pax Can Pay to Access Select Cathay Pacific Lounges — Yoga Studio Included
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
Cathay Pacific is well known for having some of the nicest airport lounges of any airline. And starting Monday, the airline is opening some of these lounges to qualifying economy passengers for a fee.
As reported by the Australian Business Traveler, Cathay Pacific is starting a paid-entry trial at seven airport lounges from March 4 to June 30. Marco Polo Club (the airline’s pay-to-join loyalty program) members who don’t otherwise have access to the lounge will be able to pay HK$600 (US$76) or 9,000 Asia Miles per person to enter. At current TPG valuations, those miles are worth $117, so you’re going to want to choose the cash option.
Unfortunately, there’s going to be an additional cost to most US-based travelers. Unlike almost every other airline loyalty program, the Marco Polo Club charges a US$100 membership fee to join.
The trial will start at the following airport lounges:
- The Pier Business Class, Hong Kong
- Vancouver Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Paris Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounges
- Melbourne Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Manila Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Penang Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Kaohsiung Cathay Pacific Lounge
For most of these lounges, you’ll be able to pay at the entrance. However, to access The Pier Business Class Lounge in Hong Kong, you’ll need to pay the entrance fee at the check-in counter or at the transfer desks in areas E2 or W1.
The Pier Business Class Lounge made the news recently when it opened a brand new yoga and meditation studio. I had the chance to check out this space just days after it opened. While there were some kinks to work out, it’s an excellent space to stretch, practice yoga or relax during a layover:
While the yoga studio is a nice draw, it’s likely not worth paying the entrance fee if you have a premium credit card. There’s an excellent and centrally-located Centurion Lounge open to The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express card members nearby. Just as in the US, I’ve found that this Centurion Lounge faces crowding issues, but it has some great food and drink options.
Priority Pass members also have the choice of two different Plaza Premium lounges in Hong Kong’s Terminal 1 and one landside lounge between Terminal 1 and 2. You can score an unlimited Priority Pass membership through a credit card, such as Chase Sapphire Reserve, Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express or Citi Prestige® Card. You can also get 10 annual Priority Pass lounge visits through the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card or the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card. Enrollment required for select benefits.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex and Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees