Economy Pax Can Pay to Access Select Cathay Pacific Lounges — Yoga Studio Included
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Cathay Pacific is well known for having some of the nicest airport lounges of any airline. And starting Monday, the airline is opening some of these lounges to qualifying economy passengers for a fee.
As reported by the Australian Business Traveler, Cathay Pacific is starting a paid-entry trial at seven airport lounges from March 4 to June 30. Marco Polo Club (the airline’s pay-to-join loyalty program) members who don’t otherwise have access to the lounge will be able to pay HK$600 (US$76) or 9,000 Asia Miles per person to enter. At current TPG valuations, those miles are worth $117, so you’re going to want to choose the cash option.
Unfortunately, there’s going to be an additional cost to most US-based travelers. Unlike almost every other airline loyalty program, the Marco Polo Club charges a US$100 membership fee to join.
The trial will start at the following airport lounges:
- The Pier Business Class, Hong Kong
- Vancouver Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Paris Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounges
- Melbourne Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Manila Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Penang Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Kaohsiung Cathay Pacific Lounge
For most of these lounges, you’ll be able to pay at the entrance. However, to access The Pier Business Class Lounge in Hong Kong, you’ll need to pay the entrance fee at the check-in counter or at the transfer desks in areas E2 or W1.
The Pier Business Class Lounge made the news recently when it opened a brand new yoga and meditation studio. I had the chance to check out this space just days after it opened. While there were some kinks to work out, it’s an excellent space to stretch, practice yoga or relax during a layover:
While the yoga studio is a nice draw, it’s likely not worth paying the entrance fee if you have a premium credit card. There’s an excellent and centrally-located Centurion Lounge open to The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express card members nearby. Just as in the US, I’ve found that this Centurion Lounge faces crowding issues, but it has some great food and drink options.
Priority Pass members also have the choice of two different Plaza Premium lounges in Hong Kong’s Terminal 1 and one landside lounge between Terminal 1 and 2. You can score an unlimited Priority Pass membership through a credit card, such as Chase Sapphire Reserve, Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express or Citi Prestige® Card. You can also get 10 annual Priority Pass lounge visits through the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card or the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card. Enrollment required for select benefits.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex and Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees