Economy Pax Can Pay to Access Select Cathay Pacific Lounges — Yoga Studio Included
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
Cathay Pacific is well known for having some of the nicest airport lounges of any airline. And starting Monday, the airline is opening some of these lounges to qualifying economy passengers for a fee.
As reported by the Australian Business Traveler, Cathay Pacific is starting a paid-entry trial at seven airport lounges from March 4 to June 30. Marco Polo Club (the airline’s pay-to-join loyalty program) members who don’t otherwise have access to the lounge will be able to pay HK$600 (US$76) or 9,000 Asia Miles per person to enter. At current TPG valuations, those miles are worth $117, so you’re going to want to choose the cash option.
Unfortunately, there’s going to be an additional cost to most US-based travelers. Unlike almost every other airline loyalty program, the Marco Polo Club charges a US$100 membership fee to join.
The trial will start at the following airport lounges:
- The Pier Business Class, Hong Kong
- Vancouver Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Paris Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounges
- Melbourne Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Manila Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Penang Cathay Pacific Lounge
- Kaohsiung Cathay Pacific Lounge
For most of these lounges, you’ll be able to pay at the entrance. However, to access The Pier Business Class Lounge in Hong Kong, you’ll need to pay the entrance fee at the check-in counter or at the transfer desks in areas E2 or W1.
The Pier Business Class Lounge made the news recently when it opened a brand new yoga and meditation studio. I had the chance to check out this space just days after it opened. While there were some kinks to work out, it’s an excellent space to stretch, practice yoga or relax during a layover:
While the yoga studio is a nice draw, it’s likely not worth paying the entrance fee if you have a premium credit card. There’s an excellent and centrally-located Centurion Lounge open to The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express card members nearby. Just as in the US, I’ve found that this Centurion Lounge faces crowding issues, but it has some great food and drink options.
Priority Pass members also have the choice of two different Plaza Premium lounges in Hong Kong’s Terminal 1 and one landside lounge between Terminal 1 and 2. You can score an unlimited Priority Pass membership through a credit card, such as Chase Sapphire Reserve, Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express or Citi Prestige Card. You can also get 10 annual Priority Pass lounge visits through the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card or the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card.
Featured image courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more when you select one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees