Cape Air to trial new New York-Boston waterfront connection
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cape Air may soon offer a new connection between the storied Boston and New York waterfronts.
The Massachusetts-based regional carrier has approval to trial seaplane flights between Boston Harbor and New York’s East River for a year, according to a statement from the Boston Planning & Development Agency. The BPDA board approved the trial earlier in February.
Cape Air can operate up to four flights a day between Boston and New York under the trial authority. The seaplane service will operate from the Boston Waterboat Marina, which is a quarter of a mile east of Faneuil Hall, and the New York Skyport in the East River at 23rd Street.
No launch date has been set, though Cape Air CEO Dan Wolf told The Boston Globe in January that flights could begin as early as March.
Cape Air declined to comment on the proposed seaplane service, which it has sought to operate for at least seven years.
The planned seaplane service would take around an hour and cost roughly $400, Wolf told the Globe.
For comparison, Amtrak Acela trains make the Boston-New York run is as little as 3 hours and 32 minutes. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and JetBlue Airways shuttle flights between Boston Logan (BOS) and New York LaGuardia (LGA) are scheduled for as little as 1 hour and 17 minutes.
Related: What it’s like flying Cape Air
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Ned Russell (@airbus777) on
The regional airline is best known for its flights connecting Boston and Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard (MVY) and Nantucket (ACK). The airline added year-round service between Boston and Portland, Maine (PWM), and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and both Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket in September. It also operates flights to smaller communities around the country from bases in Billings, Montana (BIL), St. Louis (STL) and San Juan (SJU).
Cape Air partners with American, JetBlue and United Airlines on various routes across the country.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees