Canada’s Bombardier Wins $4.9 Billion Contract to Build LAX People Mover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Canadian company most people know as an aircraft manufacturer has won a contract for its lesser known, but still very prominent business. Bombardier Inc. and its partners were awarded a $4.9 billion contract to build and operate Los Angeles International Airport’s (LAX) new people mover.
The train will connect LAX’s different terminals and car rental areas — even offering a link to the LA metro system. Bombardier will own 10% of the project, which is expected to be completed by 2023.
The Canadian company recently sold its line of C series aircraft to Airbus but has a strong business manufacturing train cars. Bombardier will design and supply 44 of its INNOVIA automated vehicles for the project. It’ll operate and maintain services for a 25-year period. Bombardier itself was awarded $219 million for its part in the venture.
Similar to JFK’s Airtrain, the people mover will run on an automated system — that means no drivers in the train cars that will weave above cars and through the airport’s grounds.
Featured image courtesy of Bombardier Transport.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.