See What LAX’s New People Mover Will Look Like
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the US’s busiest airports is getting a much-needed upgrade to its passenger movement system. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) released renderings of its new Automated People Mover (APM) system.
LAX is known for its congestion and this project could ease getting in and out of the airport. Construction is expected to begin this year and the system will be fully operational by 2023.
The APM will sit on 2.25 miles of track and connect different terminals and car rental areas — even offering a link to the LA metro system. The under-construction Crenshaw/LAX line will eventually connect to the APM.
Best of all, LAX’s people mover will be free to all users, unlike other airports such as New York’s JFK and Newark International (EWR), where the air-trains require extra fees to connect to public transit. It will run every two minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. LAX Integrated Solutions will build and operate the project, which is estimated to cost about $4.5 billion.
Each train will hold four cars and a trainload could carry up to 200 people and their luggage, or 50 people a car. The APM will operate on an above ground track that’s powered completely by electricity. Trains will reach top speeds of 47mph and end-to-end travel won’t take longer than 10 minutes.
The 2028 Olympic games spurred Los Angeles to invest in its infrastructure and in the nation’s third busiest airport. LAX is also undergoing a series of terminal expansions and recently embarked on the construction of 12 new gates at the Tom Bradley International Terminal.
Featured image courtesy Los Angeles World Airports.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees