California relaxing travel restrictions, but still discouraging visitors
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California is easing some of its restrictions on travel during the coronavirus pandemic. The Golden State has eliminated its advisory that Californians shouldn’t travel more than 120 miles from their homes.
Still, the state is advising against “nonessential” travel in general. California said residents should still avoid travel out of the state entirely, “Avoiding travel reduces the risk of virus transmission, including by reducing the risk that new sources of infection and, potentially, new virus strains will be introduced to California.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The state is also strongly discouraging visitors to California from out of state and requesting that any out-of-state visitors get tested three to five days after arrival and stay home and self-quarantine for a full seven days after travel even if COVID-19 tests come back negative. The state also says this is “regardless of vaccination status.” The state says if you don’t get tested, you should stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days.
In addition, the state has also issued the following guidance:
- All travelers arriving in or returning to California from other states or countries should follow CDC travel guidance.
- All travelers should get tested with a viral test one to three days before travel.
- All travelers who test positive or develop symptoms of COVID-19 should isolate and follow public health recommendations.
For all things California, take a look at our Golden State hub.
Keep in mind, if you are still thinking of visiting California, there are quarantines and restrictions still in place in many counties. While most of those restrictions are not being enforced, California is still discouraging travel — even for the vaccinated.
Featured image by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees