You Can Buy the Seats From These Retired United 747s
Update 3/21/19: Due to overwhelming interest in purchasing seats, it may take some time for UAM to respond to requests.
One of the best flights of my life was United’s final 747 journey from San Francisco to Honolulu. So I wonder what the airline’s 747-400s are up to over at their Tupelo, Mississippi retirement community.
Then, a few days ago, I saw them pop up in my Instagram feed, courtesy of aerial photographer Ryan Patterson. While I managed to photograph them from above in Victorville, California (VCV), Ryan got up close and personal on the ground.
Ryan went down to visit several of United’s former 747s ahead of a planned dismantling at Universal Asset Management’s Tupelo Regional Airport (TUP) facility, and was kind enough to share some of his incredible photos with TPG. (Viewer discretion is advised: AvGeeks may find the images below to be disturbing.)
The aircraft are now property of Universal Asset Management, which is working through the dismantling process.
I reached out to UAM, and learned that the company is even selling seats directly to consumers — triple economy seats (like those pictured) below are available for $2,000 plus shipping (which tends to be expensive). You can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in buying some for yourself.
Business-class seats may be available as well, but UAM hasn’t released pricing, beyond noting that the purchase cost and shipping will probably be quite a bit more.
While some aircraft are parked with the intention of flying them again, clearly that’s not in the cards for United’s former jumbo-jet fleet. At least we’ll always have that Hawaii-bound farewell.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson. Follow Ryan on Instagram for more of his phenomenal aerial photography.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.