You Can Buy the Seats From These Retired United 747s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 3/21/19: Due to overwhelming interest in purchasing seats, it may take some time for UAM to respond to requests.
One of the best flights of my life was United’s final 747 journey from San Francisco to Honolulu. So I wonder what the airline’s 747-400s are up to over at their Tupelo, Mississippi retirement community.
Then, a few days ago, I saw them pop up in my Instagram feed, courtesy of aerial photographer Ryan Patterson. While I managed to photograph them from above in Victorville, California (VCV), Ryan got up close and personal on the ground.
Ryan went down to visit several of United’s former 747s ahead of a planned dismantling at Universal Asset Management’s Tupelo Regional Airport (TUP) facility, and was kind enough to share some of his incredible photos with TPG. (Viewer discretion is advised: AvGeeks may find the images below to be disturbing.)
The aircraft are now property of Universal Asset Management, which is working through the dismantling process.
I reached out to UAM, and learned that the company is even selling seats directly to consumers — triple economy seats (like those pictured) below are available for $2,000 plus shipping (which tends to be expensive). You can email email@example.com if you’re interested in buying some for yourself.
Business-class seats may be available as well, but UAM hasn’t released pricing, beyond noting that the purchase cost and shipping will probably be quite a bit more.
While some aircraft are parked with the intention of flying them again, clearly that’s not in the cards for United’s former jumbo-jet fleet. At least we’ll always have that Hawaii-bound farewell.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson. Follow Ryan on Instagram for more of his phenomenal aerial photography.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees