This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another post about the 747’s imminent retirement. Yeah, we’re starting to feel the fatigue, too, but this one’s for a good cause — and, assuming you have the miles to burn, could land you some pretty fantastic memorabilia.
United just launched a number of opportunities to redeem miles for 747 components, including economy seats, windows and livery panels. All proceeds will be donated to Air Camp. As the airline explains:
100% of the profits will support Air Camp, a hands-on, educational adventure in aviation and aeronautics. Air Camp inspires students at the intermediate and middle school levels, as well as teachers and educational leaders across all grades, to learn more about science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) using aviation and aerospace as the medium while promoting the values of scholarship, leadership and citizenship. Air Camp is the vision of Dayton-area leaders who want to help young people nationwide achieve their potential, develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, and pursue further education and future careers in STEM-related fields, aviation, and aeronautics.
The four ‘buy now’ items available today for a preset amount of miles include:
- Triple passenger seats (currently 30 available at 250,000 miles each)
- Double passenger seats (currently six available at 275,000 miles each)
- 2′ x 2′ United Airlines livery panel (currently 16 available at 80,000 miles each)
- Single window cuts with natural finish (currently 65 available at 50,000 miles each)
A handful of other items will pop up between Monday, October 30 and Tuesday, November 7, which is the date of United’s final 747 flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL). You can expect to find the following components:
- Rudder Trim Indicator
- Standby Airspeed Indicator
- N182UA – tail number cut
- N171UA – tail number cut
- Forward-facing American flag cut-out
- Rear-facing American flag cut-out
- Brake Pressure Indicator
- 747-400 aluminum cut-out
- Ram Air Inlet
- Oxygen Pressure Indicator
- Standby Attitude Indicator
- Standby Altimeter
Personally, I’d love to take home some business or first-class seats, though I’m not sure I have room in my cozy New York City apartment. TPG has a few ideas, though, so if those premium-cabin seats ever do make an appearance you better believe we’ll be snatching some.
Are you redeeming miles for any of these 747 components?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees