Redeem United Miles for 747 Seats, Instruments and Other Memorabilia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another post about the 747’s imminent retirement. Yeah, we’re starting to feel the fatigue, too, but this one’s for a good cause — and, assuming you have the miles to burn, could land you some pretty fantastic memorabilia.
United just launched a number of opportunities to redeem miles for 747 components, including economy seats, windows and livery panels. All proceeds will be donated to Air Camp. As the airline explains:
100% of the profits will support Air Camp, a hands-on, educational adventure in aviation and aeronautics. Air Camp inspires students at the intermediate and middle school levels, as well as teachers and educational leaders across all grades, to learn more about science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) using aviation and aerospace as the medium while promoting the values of scholarship, leadership and citizenship. Air Camp is the vision of Dayton-area leaders who want to help young people nationwide achieve their potential, develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, and pursue further education and future careers in STEM-related fields, aviation, and aeronautics.
The four ‘buy now’ items available today for a preset amount of miles include:
- Triple passenger seats (currently 30 available at 250,000 miles each)
- Double passenger seats (currently six available at 275,000 miles each)
- 2′ x 2′ United Airlines livery panel (currently 16 available at 80,000 miles each)
- Single window cuts with natural finish (currently 65 available at 50,000 miles each)
A handful of other items will pop up between Monday, October 30 and Tuesday, November 7, which is the date of United’s final 747 flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL). You can expect to find the following components:
- Rudder Trim Indicator
- Standby Airspeed Indicator
- N182UA – tail number cut
- N171UA – tail number cut
- Forward-facing American flag cut-out
- Rear-facing American flag cut-out
- Brake Pressure Indicator
- 747-400 aluminum cut-out
- Ram Air Inlet
- Oxygen Pressure Indicator
- Standby Attitude Indicator
- Standby Altimeter
Personally, I’d love to take home some business or first-class seats, though I’m not sure I have room in my cozy New York City apartment. TPG has a few ideas, though, so if those premium-cabin seats ever do make an appearance you better believe we’ll be snatching some.
Are you redeeming miles for any of these 747 components?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees