Redeem United Miles for 747 Seats, Instruments and Other Memorabilia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another post about the 747’s imminent retirement. Yeah, we’re starting to feel the fatigue, too, but this one’s for a good cause — and, assuming you have the miles to burn, could land you some pretty fantastic memorabilia.
United just launched a number of opportunities to redeem miles for 747 components, including economy seats, windows and livery panels. All proceeds will be donated to Air Camp. As the airline explains:
100% of the profits will support Air Camp, a hands-on, educational adventure in aviation and aeronautics. Air Camp inspires students at the intermediate and middle school levels, as well as teachers and educational leaders across all grades, to learn more about science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) using aviation and aerospace as the medium while promoting the values of scholarship, leadership and citizenship. Air Camp is the vision of Dayton-area leaders who want to help young people nationwide achieve their potential, develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, and pursue further education and future careers in STEM-related fields, aviation, and aeronautics.
The four ‘buy now’ items available today for a preset amount of miles include:
- Triple passenger seats (currently 30 available at 250,000 miles each)
- Double passenger seats (currently six available at 275,000 miles each)
- 2′ x 2′ United Airlines livery panel (currently 16 available at 80,000 miles each)
- Single window cuts with natural finish (currently 65 available at 50,000 miles each)
A handful of other items will pop up between Monday, October 30 and Tuesday, November 7, which is the date of United’s final 747 flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL). You can expect to find the following components:
- Rudder Trim Indicator
- Standby Airspeed Indicator
- N182UA – tail number cut
- N171UA – tail number cut
- Forward-facing American flag cut-out
- Rear-facing American flag cut-out
- Brake Pressure Indicator
- 747-400 aluminum cut-out
- Ram Air Inlet
- Oxygen Pressure Indicator
- Standby Attitude Indicator
- Standby Altimeter
Personally, I’d love to take home some business or first-class seats, though I’m not sure I have room in my cozy New York City apartment. TPG has a few ideas, though, so if those premium-cabin seats ever do make an appearance you better believe we’ll be snatching some.
Are you redeeming miles for any of these 747 components?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.