Last Week Was the Busiest Ever for the TSA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The week of June 24 to June 30, 2018, was the single busiest week ever for the Transportation Security Administration, the agency says.
That record-breaking week was part of a three-week period stretching through June that was the busiest 21 days in the TSA’s history. On June 29, the Friday before Fourth of July, the TSA had its second busiest day ever — during which it screened 2.67 million flyers across US airports.
Although the security agency was predicting the number of summer travelers to peak during the Fourth of July holiday, passengers can still expect a crush of people at airport security throughout the rest of the summer, particularly during the Labor Day holiday. Both the Friday before Memorial Day and the Friday before Independence Day were in the TSA’s top ten busiest days on record, so it’s a safe bet the Friday before Labor Day will likely mean a massive wave of passengers, too. TSA expects to screen 243 million people between Memorial Day and Labor Day 2018.
Don’t forget to get to the airport early to deal with the snaking lines. This summer, the TSA is advising passengers to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes to two hours before your flight’s scheduled to takeoff. And plan to arrive up to three hours before an international flight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees