Last Week Was the Busiest Ever for the TSA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The week of June 24 to June 30, 2018, was the single busiest week ever for the Transportation Security Administration, the agency says.
That record-breaking week was part of a three-week period stretching through June that was the busiest 21 days in the TSA’s history. On June 29, the Friday before Fourth of July, the TSA had its second busiest day ever — during which it screened 2.67 million flyers across US airports.
Although the security agency was predicting the number of summer travelers to peak during the Fourth of July holiday, passengers can still expect a crush of people at airport security throughout the rest of the summer, particularly during the Labor Day holiday. Both the Friday before Memorial Day and the Friday before Independence Day were in the TSA’s top ten busiest days on record, so it’s a safe bet the Friday before Labor Day will likely mean a massive wave of passengers, too. TSA expects to screen 243 million people between Memorial Day and Labor Day 2018.
Don’t forget to get to the airport early to deal with the snaking lines. This summer, the TSA is advising passengers to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes to two hours before your flight’s scheduled to takeoff. And plan to arrive up to three hours before an international flight.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.