Last Week Was the Busiest Ever for the TSA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The week of June 24 to June 30, 2018, was the single busiest week ever for the Transportation Security Administration, the agency says.
That record-breaking week was part of a three-week period stretching through June that was the busiest 21 days in the TSA’s history. On June 29, the Friday before Fourth of July, the TSA had its second busiest day ever — during which it screened 2.67 million flyers across US airports.
Although the security agency was predicting the number of summer travelers to peak during the Fourth of July holiday, passengers can still expect a crush of people at airport security throughout the rest of the summer, particularly during the Labor Day holiday. Both the Friday before Memorial Day and the Friday before Independence Day were in the TSA’s top ten busiest days on record, so it’s a safe bet the Friday before Labor Day will likely mean a massive wave of passengers, too. TSA expects to screen 243 million people between Memorial Day and Labor Day 2018.
Don’t forget to get to the airport early to deal with the snaking lines. This summer, the TSA is advising passengers to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes to two hours before your flight’s scheduled to takeoff. And plan to arrive up to three hours before an international flight.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee