This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The week of June 24 to June 30, 2018, was the single busiest week ever for the Transportation Security Administration, the agency says.
That record-breaking week was part of a three-week period stretching through June that was the busiest 21 days in the TSA’s history. On June 29, the Friday before Fourth of July, the TSA had its second busiest day ever — during which it screened 2.67 million flyers across US airports.
Although the security agency was predicting the number of summer travelers to peak during the Fourth of July holiday, passengers can still expect a crush of people at airport security throughout the rest of the summer, particularly during the Labor Day holiday. Both the Friday before Memorial Day and the Friday before Independence Day were in the TSA’s top ten busiest days on record, so it’s a safe bet the Friday before Labor Day will likely mean a massive wave of passengers, too. TSA expects to screen 243 million people between Memorial Day and Labor Day 2018.
Don’t forget to get to the airport early to deal with the snaking lines. This summer, the TSA is advising passengers to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes to two hours before your flight’s scheduled to takeoff. And plan to arrive up to three hours before an international flight.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees