This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration is beefing up its screening procedures for powders in carry-on bags.
The new effort means that all powders — i.e. cosmetics, spices, talcum — that are bigger than a standard size soda can (12oz or 350ml) will be subject to increased scrutiny at airport security. Powders are not banned from carry-on bags, per se, but they could be re-screened at airport security, and if TSA officers cannot determine what the powder is, it will have to be thrown out or put in checked baggage.
TSA officers have already been asking flyers to separate items like powders and dense food and snacks from their carry-ons for clearer X-ray screenings, especially heading into the busy summer travel season. But starting June 30, the stricter powder requirement will also apply to flights departing from foreign airports entering the US.
On international flights to the US, the TSA is encouraging passengers to put any powders larger than 12oz/350ml into checked baggage to reduce the chance that they’ll be thrown out. Powders in carry-ons larger than that size could be barred from entering the aircraft cabin.
The new security push stems from concern over potentially using powder to make an improvised explosive device on board, but there is also concern for other harmful powders such as fentanyl and pepper sprays making it onto an aircraft and endangering passengers and crew.
Featured image by PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees