The TSA Wants You to Take Powders Out of Your Carry-On Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration is beefing up its screening procedures for powders in carry-on bags.
The new effort means that all powders — i.e. cosmetics, spices, talcum — that are bigger than a standard size soda can (12oz or 350ml) will be subject to increased scrutiny at airport security. Powders are not banned from carry-on bags, per se, but they could be re-screened at airport security, and if TSA officers cannot determine what the powder is, it will have to be thrown out or put in checked baggage.
TSA officers have already been asking flyers to separate items like powders and dense food and snacks from their carry-ons for clearer X-ray screenings, especially heading into the busy summer travel season. But starting June 30, the stricter powder requirement will also apply to flights departing from foreign airports entering the US.
On international flights to the US, the TSA is encouraging passengers to put any powders larger than 12oz/350ml into checked baggage to reduce the chance that they’ll be thrown out. Powders in carry-ons larger than that size could be barred from entering the aircraft cabin.
The new security push stems from concern over potentially using powder to make an improvised explosive device on board, but there is also concern for other harmful powders such as fentanyl and pepper sprays making it onto an aircraft and endangering passengers and crew.
Featured image by PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.