The British Airways Queen of the Skies 747 in pictures
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I am an AvGeek to the absolute core, and as a Brit, nothing pulls my AvGeek heart strings quite like a British Airways Boeing 747.
I was therefore rather sad to hear the news that British Airways is retiring all 31 of its Boeing 747s in the coming months, according to an internal companywide email viewed by TPG.
I have been lucky enough to get up close and personal with plenty of BA’s “jumbo jets” whilst wielding my camera, and so here are some of my favorite photos I’ve taken of (and on) the Queen of the Skies:
On the ground at the Queens’ palace: London Heathrow
Taking to the skies
The reveal of the Landor livery
In March 2019, British Airways unveiled its second Jumbo Jet in so-called “retro colors,” this one painted in the airline’s official livery from 1984 to 1997. Known as Landor, from the name of the design studio that produced it, the livery flew with BA before the introduction of the current scheme, known as Chatham Dockyard.
The reveal of the BOAC livery
A month earlier, in February 2020, British Airways had revealed the first of its retro-liveries. This Boeing 747-400 was outfitted in the livery of the airline’s predecessor, British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC).
A peek inside
The BA 747-400 was lauded for its private jet feel on the upper deck, which was home to a second, smaller Club World business class cabin. There was also nothing quite like sitting in first class in the nose of the plane. Seated in 1A or 1K, it was even possible to look forwards out the front windows due to the curvature of the plane’s nose.
All photos by the author
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees