The Queen of the Skies Turns 50
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Feb. 9 marks 50 years of flight by the Boeing 747. Affectionately known as the Queen of the Skies, the jumbo jet has been flying all across the world for the last half century. The queen is one of the most easily recognizable aircraft flying, even if you’re not a total avgeek.
50 years ago today saw Boeing test pilots Jack Waddell and Brien Wygle, along with flight engineer Jess Wallick, get the 747 airborne for the very first time. The queen would officially enter service with Pan Am, flying from New York (JFK) to London (LHR). The very first commercial flight flown by the 747 was known as Clipper Victor, the same plane that would later be involved in the tragic accident at Tenerife.
If the Queen of the Skies is still on your bucket list, don’t worry, you can still catch a ride on this aviation legend using points or miles. You might want to book that trip sooner rather than later, however, as many airlines have started to retire their fleet of 747s.
There is no doubt that the Queen of the Skies will hold her special place in the hearts of avgeeks around the world long after the last one makes her final landing. Hopefully that day will be far off into the future. Happy 50th birthday to the Queen of the Skies from all of us here at TPG.
For even more of the queen, check out The Amazing Story of the Boeing 747 in 12 Photos.
Photo by aviation-images.com/UIG via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.