The Queen of the Skies Turns 50
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Feb. 9 marks 50 years of flight by the Boeing 747. Affectionately known as the Queen of the Skies, the jumbo jet has been flying all across the world for the last half century. The queen is one of the most easily recognizable aircraft flying, even if you’re not a total avgeek.
50 years ago today saw Boeing test pilots Jack Waddell and Brien Wygle, along with flight engineer Jess Wallick, get the 747 airborne for the very first time. The queen would officially enter service with Pan Am, flying from New York (JFK) to London (LHR). The very first commercial flight flown by the 747 was known as Clipper Victor, the same plane that would later be involved in the tragic accident at Tenerife.
If the Queen of the Skies is still on your bucket list, don’t worry, you can still catch a ride on this aviation legend using points or miles. You might want to book that trip sooner rather than later, however, as many airlines have started to retire their fleet of 747s.
There is no doubt that the Queen of the Skies will hold her special place in the hearts of avgeeks around the world long after the last one makes her final landing. Hopefully that day will be far off into the future. Happy 50th birthday to the Queen of the Skies from all of us here at TPG.
For even more of the queen, check out The Amazing Story of the Boeing 747 in 12 Photos.
Photo by aviation-images.com/UIG via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.