Another 747 for the Books: British Airways Unveils Its ‘Landor’ Retro-Themed Jumbo Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is going all-out with the celebration of its 100th anniversary through airplanes painted in its former colors. On Saturday, the world’s biggest operator of the Boeing 747 unveiled its second Jumbo Jet in so-called “retro colors,” this one painted in the airline’s official livery from 1984 to 1997. Known as Landor, from the name of the design studio that produced it, the livery flew with BA before the introduction of the current scheme, known as Chatham Dockyard.
TPG UK’s Director of Content Nicky Kelvin was behind the scenes at the Dublin airport, where the 747 was painted, for the livery’s unveiling on Saturday, before the first flight in new (or old…) colors from Dublin to London Heathrow.
The 747 with registration G-BNLY, a 26-year old bird, will then recommence regular operations by operating from Heathrow to Miami later on Saturday. The aircraft will wear the Landor livery until it is retired in 2023. British Airways has 35 Boeing 747s in the fleet, and will retire them by 2024. They are set to be replaced by the Airbus A350-1000 and the Boeing 777-9.
This third special livery follows the recent arrivals of a Boeing 747 painted in British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) livery and an Airbus A319 in BEA colors, each one representing one of the two airlines that merged in 1974 to form British Airways.
British Airways did not plan a Heathrow arrival event for this third (out of four) special-colors jet, like it did for the BOAC and BEA livery arrivals, partly because of its weekend arrival, but also for another reason that should make British Airways passengers and fans excited. British Airways is set to unveil the new Club World (BA’s name for business class) seat for the new A350 earlier than expected, within the next few weeks, so it didn’t want to overshadow the long-awaited, highly anticipated new business-class product. The 747s are going to keep the outdated business-class product they currently fly — a product that, while dated, can still hold its own on transatlantic hops when in the hands of a particularly good cabin crew.
(Featured image by Nicky Kelvin / The Points Guy)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees