Brazilian Airline Azul Is First in the Americas to Get an Airbus A330neo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Brazilian airline Azul has taken delivery of its first Airbus A330neo, making it the first carrier in the Americas to receive the jet.
Azul, launched in 2008 by JetBlue founder David Neeleman, says it will use its new A330neos “to expand its international route network between Brazil and Europe and the United States.”
Azul’s A330neos will seat 298 passengers, including 34 in business class and 96 in “Xtra” premium-economy. The aircraft features Airbus’ new Airspace cabin interior.
“We are very proud to be the first A330neo operator in the Americas,” Azul CEO John Rodgerson said in a statement. “This new aircraft will play a key role in the expansion of our international markets supporting our strategy of having a modern and fuel-efficient fleet.”
The A330neo is the first of five Azul expects to take from leasing company Avolon. Azul’s A330neos will be powered by Rolls-Royce Trent 7000 engines.
Azul currently flies to 108 destinations across South America, the United States and Portugal.
While Azul becomes the first in the Americas to take delivery of the A330neo, Delta Air Lines will soon become the first in North America to get one.
Delta’s first A330neo completed its initial test flight last week at Airbus’ assembly line near Toulouse in southern France.
The A330neo – “neo” stands for new-engine option – is Airbus’ next-generation update of its A330 wide-body jet. Delta has 35 of the planes on order, with the first expected to be delivered in the coming weeks.
The aircraft is expected to enter passenger service for Delta on July 1, when Delta puts the A330neo on its flights between Seattle and Shanghai.
TAP Air Portugal became the world’s first airline to take delivery of an A330neo last year. The airline put the jet into passenger service in December on its route between Lisbon and Sao Paulo. TAP Air Portugal’s first US-route on the jet came last month, when the it added the plane to its Miami-Lisbon route.
Featured photo: Courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees