Boeing agrees to help Icelandair cover 737 MAX expenses
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing and Icelandair have reached an agreement regarding the airline’s grounded Boeing 737 MAX planes. Boeing has agreed to pay the airline an undisclosed amount to help cover expenses the airline is incurring while the plane is grounded worldwide.
Icelandair’s statement says the current grounding has cost the airline around $140 million so far. The agreement reached with Boeing will cover a “fraction” of that, according to the airline’s statement:
As previously announced, the suspension of Icelandair’s Boeing 737-MAX aircraft has had negative financial effects on the Company…The Company has also previously announced that it has started discussions with Boeing regarding compensation for all the financial loss resulting from the suspension.
Icelandair has reached an interim agreement with Boeing regarding compensation which covers a fraction of the Company’s total loss due to the suspension of the Boeing 737-MAX aircraft…Icelandair Group will continue its discussions with Boeing regarding compensation due to the financial effects of the Boeing 737-MAX suspension.
This agreement is one of the first of its kind, helping to cover costs incurred due to the grounding of the newest version of the company’s narrow-body workhorse.
Boeing expects to take a $5.6 billion hit due to the 737 MAX grounding, it said in a statement. Costs include having to compensate airlines such as Icelandair that fly the aircraft. Boeing has not factored in the $100 million it will be paying to crash victims’ families and costs from any potential lawsuits.
In the U.S., airlines have removed the Boeing 737 MAX from their schedules through December at the earliest, detailing daily flight cancellations in the hundreds ahead of the busy Christmas and New Year’s holiday travel season.
Icelandair has a total of six of the Boeing 737 MAX in its fleet with another three on order from Boeing.
Featured Photo by Pall Jokull for Icelandair/The Brooklyn Brothers via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees