Blade now requiring pre-flight COVID-19 testing for scheduled jet flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the days of coronavirus, change seems to be constant. As the situation evolves, travel companies are continuously making adjustments to their safety and sanitary procedures. Airlines have started to fill middle seats again, airport lounges are reopening and inflight food and drink service is resuming. Now, Blade — provider of helicopter and jet service between popular destination spots — has become the latest travel company to revamp its coronavirus health and safety protocol, which was originally introduced earlier this year.
With the resumption of scheduled BLADEone jet service to Miami and Aspen, and the launch of shared “FlightTilt” charters, Blade has announced that it has adopted new safety procedures. Blade is now offering and requiring pre-flight COVID-19 testing for scheduled jet service within the U.S.
Want more travel news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Specifically, Blade is now requiring pre-flight COVID-19 testing for all passengers, cabin attendants and Blade lounge employees for all shared jet flights. Blade says that it’s the first company to require pre-flight testing domestically, though some commercial airlines like United have already been trialing pre-flight testing on select international routes.
The testing (administered prior to check-in) is performed on-site by CrowdRX, a division of Global Medical Response. Pricing starts at $150, but passengers can choose to be tested by their own provider if they prefer.
“BLADE was the first aviation company to require mandatory blood oxygen saturation and temperature screening for all of its flights starting back in March,” Melissa Tomkiel, General Counsel and President of Fixed Wing at Blade said in a release. “Testing was always on our timeline for our shared jet services. Now that we are satisfied with the safety, reliability, and ease of our testing program, it has been integrated into our pre-boarding protocols.”
This new requirement is in addition to all of the other precautions Blade is taking, including testing the oxygen levels of all passengers, pilots and staff, as well as their body temperatures, prior to boarding.
Passengers are required to have at least 95% blood oxygen saturation; anything less can be a cause for concern. Doctors have reported that critically ill COVID-19 patients have had oxygen levels as low as 50%, according to NPR.
Blade is also still requiring all passengers, pilots and staff to wear face masks at all times except dining. Pilots and staff are also required to wear sanitary gloves.
Like many commercial airlines, Blade has also made seating adjustments to maintain social distancing onboard.
For those flying a Blade seaplane or jet, each passenger will have his or her own window seat with the aisle seats empty to create space between passengers. Bench seating has also been eliminated, but can be requested by two individuals flying together.
If you are taking a shorter commute aboard a Blade helicopter, you’ll notice that the middle seat has been blocked.
On BLADEone flights to Miami and Aspen, meals are served fully covered. Additionally, lavatories onboard are sanitized after each use.
Additional reporting by Liz Hund
Featured photo courtesy of Blade.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees