This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The TPG Awards covered a lot of ground, honoring the best in travel across categories such as Best Premium Credit Card, Best Hotel Loyalty Program and much more. One of the most interesting awards to be handed out was Best Credit Card Promotion.
TPG readers nominated their favorite card promos — many of which were transfer bonuses that paved the way toward extra-lucrative award redemptions — and we whittled it down to a list of the four most popular finalists. The one to take the trophy? Up to 20% off at Amazon when using at least 1 Amex point toward your purchase.
This targeted offer first surfaced ahead of Amazon Prime Day in July, and it allowed Amex card holders to save up to $100 on their purchase (20% on up to $500) when using Amex Membership Rewards points for the purchase. We never recommend using Amex points toward Amazon purchases since you’ll get much more value by transferring your points to travel partners, but the beauty of this promo was that you could use even just 1 Amex point toward your purchase and still be eligible for the discount, as long as you put the purchase on an Amex card.
Parting with just 1 Amex point to get up to $100 off your Amex purchase was a no-brainer for many, and these other three finalists helped readers save big as well — specifically on flight redemptions made with Amex and Citi transfer partners. Here’s how they stacked up, from most to fewest reader votes:
- $100 off Amazon purchases with 1 Amex point
- Amex 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic
- Amex 40% transfer bonus to Avios
- Citi 40% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic
The Amex and Citi transfer bonuses to Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club program opened up particularly good award possibilities with partners ANA and Delta, such as 70,000 miles for a round-trip business-class flight to Japan on ANA with the Amex promo.
Here’s hoping that 2019 has even better promos in store!
Featured photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees