This Was the Best Credit Card Promotion of the Year, According to TPG Readers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The TPG Awards covered a lot of ground, honoring the best in travel across categories such as Best Premium Credit Card, Best Hotel Loyalty Program and much more. One of the most interesting awards to be handed out was Best Credit Card Promotion.
TPG readers nominated their favorite card promos — many of which were transfer bonuses that paved the way toward extra-lucrative award redemptions — and we whittled it down to a list of the four most popular finalists. The one to take the trophy? Up to 20% off at Amazon when using at least 1 Amex point toward your purchase.
This targeted offer first surfaced ahead of Amazon Prime Day in July, and it allowed Amex card holders to save up to $100 on their purchase (20% on up to $500) when using Amex Membership Rewards points for the purchase. We never recommend using Amex points toward Amazon purchases since you’ll get much more value by transferring your points to travel partners, but the beauty of this promo was that you could use even just 1 Amex point toward your purchase and still be eligible for the discount, as long as you put the purchase on an Amex card.
Parting with just 1 Amex point to get up to $100 off your Amex purchase was a no-brainer for many, and these other three finalists helped readers save big as well — specifically on flight redemptions made with Amex and Citi transfer partners. Here’s how they stacked up, from most to fewest reader votes:
- $100 off Amazon purchases with 1 Amex point
- Amex 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic
- Amex 40% transfer bonus to Avios
- Citi 40% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic
The Amex and Citi transfer bonuses to Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club program opened up particularly good award possibilities with partners ANA and Delta, such as 70,000 miles for a round-trip business-class flight to Japan on ANA with the Amex promo.
Here’s hoping that 2019 has even better promos in store!
Featured photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees