Fantastic Redemptions With Citi ThankYou 30% Transfer Bonus to Virgin Atlantic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier Card
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
If you’ve got a surplus of Citi ThankYou points and have been eyeing a redemption through Virgin Atlantic, you could be in luck. For a limited time, the Citi ThankYou program is offering a 30% transfer bonus to the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club program.
Until 11:59pm ET on October 13, 2018, Citi ThankYou points will transfer to the Flying Club program at a 1:1.3 ratio.
If this bonus sounds familiar, you’re not imagining things. In August, American Express announced the same 30% transfer bonus when transferring its Membership Rewards points to the Flying Club program. That transfer bonus is valid until September 12.
Two options — either Amex Membership Rewards or Citi ThankYou points — at this transfer bonus is an incredibly appealing prospect. The Virgin Atlantic Flying Club program offers some premium award redemptions. For example, Virgin’s partner ANA has a fantastic award chart, allowing you to fly from the west coast of the US to Japan in business class for 90,000 miles round-trip. With the 30% transfer bonus, that means you’ll need just 70,000 Citi ThankYou points for a round-trip business-class ticket to Asia.
Alternatively, you could opt to fly in first class with ANA. Awards in the first-class cabin from the west coast of the US to Japan start at 110,000 miles. So, if you take advantage of this transfer bonus, that award will run you 85,000 Citi ThankYou points round-trip. Do note, however, that ANA awards require you to book round-trip itineraries — one-way partner awards are not an option. Also note that for ANA premium redemptions, taxes and fees are typically reasonable and hover around the $200 mark.
Or, you could think about transferring those points to the Flying Club program to take advantage of awards on its partner, Delta. Since Virgin has fixed rates on its award chart, you can bypass Delta’s unpredictable award pricing. In fact, using Flying Club is one of TPG’s favorite ways to book Delta awards. With the transfer bonus, you can fly across the Atlantic in business class for just 39,000 Citi ThankYou points when factoring in the transfer bonus.
Citi ThankYou points transfer to the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club instantaneously. But, before you go about transferring those points, make sure that you have a specific redemption in mind and that there’s award availability. If you’re looking to increase your stash of Citi ThankYou points in order to take advantage of transfer bonuses like this in the future, the Citi Premier Card is offering its best-ever sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening.
Featured image by S3studio / Getty Images.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees