This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A few weeks ago, we shared an excellent deal where you can save 20% off Amazon purchases (up to $100) by activating an offer and applying at least 1 Membership Rewards point to the purchase. Now, there’s another promotion that will let you save 20% off Amazon purchases (up to $100). So, yes, there’s a reason that this sounds very familiar. However, this is a new promotion that you can use in addition to the previous one.
Here’s the basics
- Promo code: AMEXSWP20PD
- 20% off the original purchase price up to $100 total savings
- You must apply at least 1 Membership Rewards point to the purchase
- You must use an American Express credit card to pay the balance. Make sure to get 3x Membership Rewards points.
- You can use this code repeatedly to get 20% off until you hit $100 in total savings.
From personal experience, I’ve found that this discount is applied to the non-discounted price of Prime Day deals. Also, you can apply this discount to gift cards, including Amazon e-gift cards. However, reports indicate that you need to have at least $100 of merchandise in your cart to get the discount on Amazon e-gift cards.
As one example of how you can take this promotion to the max, you can get the $279 Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for just $69 before tax:
Since I’d already used the 20% discount for applying 1 Membership Rewards point offer that popped up earlier this year, I couldn’t check to see if this discount code “stacked” with the prior offer. However, I’d be very surprised if you’d be able to double the 20% discount to get a total of 40% off.
If you haven’t used the previous promotion, I’d highly recommend following the instructions in this post to apply that discount. Then, make purchases to maximize that promotion before applying this discount code to save 20% off further purchases.
How I Maximized This Deal
I’ve been looking to buy a cheap tablet and a new pair of noise-cancelling headphones, so I was in luck with Prime Day. Adding these two items to my cart, I saw that the top-line price that was being discounted 20% was $348. To maximize the promotion, I added $152 of Amazon e-gift cards — figuring it was a long shot that they’d qualify for the 20% promotion. Sure enough, they do.
Plus, since I used The Platinum Card® from American Express after enrolling, I received 3x Membership Rewards points on the heavily-discounted purchase price.
In total, I spent $285.74 and received:
- Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones ($299 list price)
- Fire HD 10 Tablet, 10.1″ 1080p Full HD Display, 32 GB, Black ($150 list price)
- $152 in Amazon gift cards
- 857 Membership Rewards points ($16 in value at TPG valuations)
Considering how much I rely on Amazon, I consider the Amazon gift cards like cash. So, I ended up snagging $450 in electronics for $134 with 857 Membership Rewards points to boot. I’d call that a successful Amazon Prime Day!
H/T: Doctor Of Credit
Featured image by Leon Neal/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at Marriott and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,200 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees