How TPG Readers Ranked the Best Hotel Loyalty Programs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards were held on Tuesday Dec. 4, and we couldn’t have asked for a better night. From the setting (the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum) to the special awards (to Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leymah Gbowee) to the musical performance (by Bebe Rexha), the evening was a great way to celebrate the best of the best in the credit card, travel and loyalty spaces.
Of course, the term “best” can be a relative term when it comes to airlines and hotel programs, and there’s been some heated conversation about the list of award winners we released the morning after the show. Bear in mind that most of the winners were selected entirely by readers via a secured Google poll (the airline cabin awards were selected by expert TPG editorial staff). However, the will of the voters may not match your own personal preferences, so we’re providing some additional detail into where these programs fell.
Here’s the list of nominees for best hotel loyalty program in the order that our readers voted them:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards
- Wyndham Rewards
- Choice Privileges
- Radisson Rewards
When the voting was over, despite a rash of issues with the August integration and some significant backlash from readers with changes to travel package certificates (that were then softened a bit), the combined Marriott, SPG and Ritz-Carlton program took home the award for Best Hotel Loyalty Program of 2018. Now it’s important to note that voting ended almost a month before news of Marriott’s massive data breach was released, so we can only speculate whether that would’ve changed the outcome. However, with the 2019 introduction of Category 8 and peak pricing along with ongoing fallout from the breach, the new Marriott program (whatever it may be called) will have a hard time holding onto its title.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.