How TPG Readers Ranked the Best Hotel Loyalty Programs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards were held on Tuesday Dec. 4, and we couldn’t have asked for a better night. From the setting (the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum) to the special awards (to Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leymah Gbowee) to the musical performance (by Bebe Rexha), the evening was a great way to celebrate the best of the best in the credit card, travel and loyalty spaces.
Of course, the term “best” can be a relative term when it comes to airlines and hotel programs, and there’s been some heated conversation about the list of award winners we released the morning after the show. Bear in mind that most of the winners were selected entirely by readers via a secured Google poll (the airline cabin awards were selected by expert TPG editorial staff). However, the will of the voters may not match your own personal preferences, so we’re providing some additional detail into where these programs fell.
Here’s the list of nominees for best hotel loyalty program in the order that our readers voted them:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards
- Wyndham Rewards
- Choice Privileges
- Radisson Rewards
When the voting was over, despite a rash of issues with the August integration and some significant backlash from readers with changes to travel package certificates (that were then softened a bit), the combined Marriott, SPG and Ritz-Carlton program took home the award for Best Hotel Loyalty Program of 2018. Now it’s important to note that voting ended almost a month before news of Marriott’s massive data breach was released, so we can only speculate whether that would’ve changed the outcome. However, with the 2019 introduction of Category 8 and peak pricing along with ongoing fallout from the breach, the new Marriott program (whatever it may be called) will have a hard time holding onto its title.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees