This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards were held on Tuesday Dec. 4, and we couldn’t have asked for a better night. From the setting (the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum) to the special awards (to Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leymah Gbowee) to the musical performance (by Bebe Rexha), the evening was a great way to celebrate the best of the best in the credit card, travel and loyalty spaces.
Of course, the term “best” can be a relative term when it comes to airlines and hotel programs, and there’s been some heated conversation about the list of award winners we released the morning after the show. Bear in mind that most of the winners were selected entirely by readers via a secured Google poll (the airline cabin awards were selected by expert TPG editorial staff). However, the will of the voters may not match your own personal preferences, so we’re providing some additional detail into where these programs fell.
Here’s the list of nominees for best hotel loyalty program in the order that our readers voted them:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards
- Wyndham Rewards
- Choice Privileges
- Radisson Rewards
When the voting was over, despite a rash of issues with the August integration and some significant backlash from readers with changes to travel package certificates (that were then softened a bit), the combined Marriott, SPG and Ritz-Carlton program took home the award for Best Hotel Loyalty Program of 2018. Now it’s important to note that voting ended almost a month before news of Marriott’s massive data breach was released, so we can only speculate whether that would’ve changed the outcome. However, with the 2019 introduction of Category 8 and peak pricing along with ongoing fallout from the breach, the new Marriott program (whatever it may be called) will have a hard time holding onto its title.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees