Amex Business Platinum is TPG reader’s favorite business credit card — even in a year with limited travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The third annual TPG Awards went digital this year, and credit cards got a full week packed with content and reader’s choice awards winner highlights. Six of the top business credit cards were nominated for this year’s “Best Business Credit Card” award, and — I’ll be honest — I wasn’t expecting for a travel card to come out on top this year. But lo and behold, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express did win the TPG reader’s choice award for best business credit card.
Amex Business Platinum overview
The Amex Business Platinum is one of the most lucrative travel credit cards on the market — and also one of the most expensive to have in your wallet. In exchange for a steep $595 annual fee (see rates and fees), you receive a knockout list of benefits that includes:
- New cardholders earn 125,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $15,000 on qualifying purchases in the first three months of account opening
- Earn 5x on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com
- Earn 1.5x on larger purchases of $5,000 or more (up to 1 million additional points per year)
- Unmatched lounged access with Priority Pass, Centurion Lounges, Delta Sky Club access and more
- 35% rebate when you Pay With Points for flights on amextravel.com (up to 500,000 points per calendar year)
- Up to $200 in Dell credits annually (up to $100 semi-annually)
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit (up to $100)
- Gold elite status with Hilton and Marriott
- Access to Amex’s Concierge
- Access to Amex’s Fine Resorts and Hotels program
- Travel protections
- Enrollment required for select benefits.
If you can fully maximize the credits and travel benefits, this card more than pays for itself each year without even factoring in any rewards earned when you put spending on the card.
Other TPG awards finalists for best business card
The competition was tough this year, with a number of stellar cards on the nominations list:
- American Express® Business Gold Card — This card offers a flexible rewards program that is great for mid-sized businesses that may have changing spending categories throughout the year.
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business — The Cap One Spark Miles is a solid option for freelancers who want a card that earns rewards across every purchase.
- Ink Business Cash Credit Card — With no annual fee, the Ink Business Cash is a great credit card for buying office supplies and pairing with other Chase cards to maximize the Ultimate Rewards program.
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card — Chase’s Ink Business Preferred has long been a TPG favorite business credit for its stellar bonus categories, modest annual fee and lucrative sign-up bonus.
- Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card — Freelancers and those who need a credit card for their side hustle can benefit from the Ink Business Unlimited’s no annual fee and flat-rate rewards structure.
Despite many of the card’s luxury benefits being less valuable this year with travel on hold, the Amex Business Platinum still took home the trophy for TPG readers’ favorite business credit card — and amidst steep competition, at that. The temporary benefits offered by Amex and the customer service Amex is known for are no-doubt two contributing factors to why this card remained top-of-mind this year.
And I think it says a lot about the card itself that even in a year marked by closed lounges and canceled trips, TPG readers are still putting their support behind the luxury travel credit card.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum, click here.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Aside from the 125,000-point welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to a cap amount), earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive an up to $200 annual airline fee credit each calendar year (enrollment required).
- The Points Guy Exclusive Offer: Earn 125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com.
- Breeze through security with CLEAR® where available and get up to $179 back per year on your membership when you use your Card.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees