Guide to Marriott and Hilton elite status with the Amex Platinum and Business Platinum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From complimentary entry to Centurion Lounges and other lounges in Amex’s Global Lounge Collection to the ability to book luxury hotel stays with extra benefits through the Fine Hotels & Resorts program, the Amex Platinum and Business Platinum provide some excellent benefits that can upgrade your travel.
What is this benefit?
Amex Platinum and Amex Business Platinum cardmembers, including Platinum card additional cardmembers, can enroll in complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite and Hilton Honors Gold status. Doing so allows you to enjoy status with Marriott and Hilton without needing to meet usual requirements such as obtaining a particular number of nights, stays or elite-qualifying points each year. Enrollment required for select benefits.
How do I enroll?
To enroll in either (or both) elite status levels, log-in to your Amex account and visit the benefits page. Alternatively, you can also call the number on the back of your card. In either case, you’ll need to provide your Marriott Bonvoy and/or Hilton Honors loyalty program number to Amex. Once you request enrollment, American Express will share your enrollment information with Hilton and/or Marriott, which will upgrade your status to Gold.
You’ll maintain status without needing to meet otherwise required criteria as long as you keep your Amex Platinum or Amex Business Platinum account open and American Express continues to offer this benefit for your card.
What are the benefits of Marriott Gold status?
Marriott Bonvoy Gold status usually requires you to stay at least 25 nights per year at Marriott properties. TPG senior editor Nick Ewen values Marriott Gold status at $840, but his valuation assumes you stay enough nights each year to earn the status organically. So the value you’ll obtain from the status will differ if you stay more or less frequently.
As a Marriott Gold Elite, you’ll have access to the following benefits:
- 25% more bonus points on stays: Earn 25% more points than base-level members on every eligible hotel purchase with Marriott
- Enhanced room upgrades: Based on availability at check-in, but may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities and rooms on executive floors (excluding suite upgrades)
- 2 p.m. late check-out: Based on availability
- Enhanced in-room internet: Get the fastest internet offered by the hotel for no extra charge
- Welcome points: 250 points or 500 points depending on the brand (worth $2-4 based on TPG’s valuations)
- Ultimate reservation guarantee: If Marriott can’t honor your reservation for any reason, it will pay for you to stay nearby and compensate you for the inconvenience
In addition to the Amex Platinum and Amex Business Platinum, two other cards provide automatic Gold Elite status: the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card (no longer open to new applicants).
Meanwhile, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card and the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card each provide 15 elite night credits that can help you earn Gold Elite status. You can also earn Gold Elite status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year on the Marriott Boundless and each calendar year on the Marriott Bonvoy Business card.
What are the benefits of Hilton Gold status?
Hilton Honors Gold status usually requires that you stay 40 nights in a calendar year, stay 20 times in a calendar year or earn 75,000 Hilton Honors base points in a calendar year. (enrollment required for select benefits.) TPG Senior Editor Nick Ewen values Hilton Gold status at $1,225, but his valuation assumes you stay enough nights each year to earn the status organically.
As a Hilton Gold elite, you’ll have access to the following benefits:
- 80% elite status bonus: Receive an 80% bonus on all the Hilton Honors base points you earn
- Complimentary breakfast: Available either as a My Way member benefit or as a brand amenity, excluding Hilton Grand Vacations
- Fifth night free: Silver, Gold and Diamond members get every fifth night free when booking a reward stay of five nights or more using all points
- Late check-out: Must be requested and subject to availability
- Complimentary internet: Complimentary in-room and lobby standard internet access during stays at most Hilton brands
Additionally, Hilton usually allows Gold elites to select a My Way membership benefit during each stay. These benefits vary by brand but may include the following:
- Space-available upgrade to a preferred room
- Complimentary continental breakfast or hot cooked-to-order breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay
- 100-1,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay
- Two snack/refreshment choices per stay
In addition to Amex Platinum and Amex Business Platinum, you’ll also get Hilton Gold status as an automatic benefit on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card and The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card. You can also get top-tier Diamond status through the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Hilton Honors Gold and Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status can provide some great perks. I particularly appreciate that Hilton Gold status provides breakfast at most brands. After all, the complimentary breakfast perk can provide significant value when visiting expensive destinations.
Luckily, the Amex Platinum and Amex Business Platinum provide Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold Elite status as a cardmember benefit. This perk can be handy if you don’t stay frequently enough with Marriott or Hilton to earn elite status organically and don’t want to carry a cobranded hotel credit card.
Featured image of the Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa by Ethan Steinberg/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees