British Airways Goes Retro Again With Landor Livery on a Boeing 747
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is bringing retro to the skies — again. On Friday, the carrier announced that on the heel of its BOAC 747 retro livery announcement, which was enough to make any AvGeek swoon, it’s painting another of its super jumbos in its iconic Landor livery.
The Boeing 747 will take to the skies this month, sporting the Landor livery, which BA flew between 1984 and 1997. British Airways will paint the 747 registered as G-BNLY in the Landor livery in honor of the airline’s 100-year anniversary.
According to PlaneSpotters.net, G-BNLY is 26.1 years old, having been delivered to the carrier in February 1993. The aircraft flew to Dublin earlier this week to begin its transformation and will be renamed “City of Swansea.” It will return to its London Heathrow (LHR) home later this month before it begins flying to “long-haul destinations served by the Boeing 747.”
G-BNLY will remain in its Landor livery until it’s retired in 2023. BA is undergoing a retirement plan for the remaining 35 747s in its fleet, which will be phased out through the next few years. At that point, they’ll be replaced by the newer and more fuel efficient Boeing 787 Dreamliners, Airbus A350s and its newly ordered Boeing 777-9 aircraft.
In February, British Airways unveiled its first retro livery in honor of its 100-year anniversary, featuring the carrier’s iconic British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) livery on one of its Boeing 747-400 aircraft.
In addition to the two 747 retro liveries, British Airways is also transforming one of its Airbus A319 aircraft to feature the British European Airways (BEA) livery. That aircraft is already in the process of being painted in Dublin.
The three retro liveries are one part of an anticipated big year for British Airways. Later this year, the airline is expected to unveil its brand new Club World seat, which will be outfitted on its soon-to-be-delivered Airbus A350 aircraft.
Stay tuned for more coverage, as TPG will be at London Heathrow to welcome in the next retro livery.
Featured image of Landor livery courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees