British Airways Details Improvements to First-Class Menus, Bedding and Amenities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways released details of its first-class soft-product upgrades on Thursday — and there’s reason for passengers to get excited. Beginning March 31, passengers can expect to start seeing new bedding, amenities and menus. The airline, having been criticized for how slowly it rolled out soft-product enhancements to its Club World business class in recent years, has committed to completing the roll-out of these changes within a week. By April 7, British Airways says that all passengers flying first will experience the new soft product.
The airline, celebrating its centenary in 2019 with a number of retro-livery jets, is in the process of investing £6.5 billion in the next five years to enhance its cabins, catering, lounges and Wi-Fi, as well as introducing new aircraft, such as the Airbus A350.
The changes to its first-class soft product include new loungewear and amenity kits designed exclusively by the British fashion brand Temperley London. The amenity kit will be filled with products from ELEMIS, a British skincare brand.
Other changes include the introduction of new china crockery designed by William Edwards, cutlery from Studio William and glassware from Dartington including cut-glass tumblers — all British brands.
New a la carte menus are set to focus on seasonal British ingredients. And, first class passengers can expect a new signature afternoon tea service, featuring a menu of sandwiches, pastries, scones and a wide range of teas.
When ready for bed, an improved turndown service will help first class passengers settle in. The improved soft product features 400-thread count bedding, a foam fiber mattress topper, as well as day blankets and bolster cushions.
British Airways is also set to unveil its new Club World product later this year. The new Club World seat will be installed on British Airways’ new Airbus A350 aircraft and retrofitted on its fleet of Boeing 777s. The first A350 is expected to be delivered to British Airways ahead of the summer and will enter service in the second half of the year. The A350 will not have a first-class cabin, but the enhanced Club World seat will offer aisle access for all passengers.
Additionally, the airline recently announced a big order for the Boeing 777-9 to replace its aging Boeing 747s. The incoming 777 jets will feature a first class cabin.
Featured image courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.