British Airways further extends elite status and reduced qualification thresholds
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
Once again, British Airways is extending status for some of its Executive Club members and keeping reduced thresholds to retain status. The extended reduction in elite requirements and status extensions are due to COVID-19, the UK-based carrier said.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The biggest change of note is that BA is automatically extending status for any tiered BA Executive Club members for another year, including those at the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels, with a Tier Point expiration date between April – June 2022. This is big news for these members who will automatically receive another year of their current status, regardless of how many Tier Points they have earned.
Additionally, BA’s reduced Tier Point thresholds for retaining or upgrading status will now continue an additional six months through Dec. 2022, instead of June. This means that Executive Club elites not only have to fly less to retain or upgrade their status, but they also have more time to do so as tiers have been reduced by 25% through Dec. 31, 2022.
Tier Point balances normally reset once a year based on when you joined the Executive Club, restarting members’ earnings for the following year.
BA awards Tier Points for BA and Oneworld partner flights based on a flight’s length and fare type. The longer the flight and higher the class flown, the quicker you earn BA status. Flights under 2,000 miles yield a minimum of five Tier Points, while first-class long-haul flights spanning more than 6,000 miles earn 360 Tier Points per sector.
Through 2022, members now only need to reach these reduced amounts of Tier Points to retain status for another year:
- Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flights
- Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
- Gold: 1125 Tier Points
- Gold Guest List: 3,750 Tier Points
“Your loyalty means the world to us,” the airline said in a press statement. “In order for you to have a chance to enjoy the benefits you deserve, whenever you’re ready to return to the skies, we’ve extended the Tier status for Executive Club Members with a Tier Point collection.”
Featured image of a British Airways plane arriving at Heathrow Airport, London on Aug. 6, 2021, by Steve Parsons/PA Images/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.